Study with us
Judaic Studies at the University of Manitoba, established in 1950, brings together a wide selection of interdisciplinary course content including:
German and slavic studies
The Faculty of Arts offers a minor option in Judaic studies.
Expected duration: 18 credit hours
The Judaic studies minor consists of 18 credit hours of Judaic studies courses and/or courses acceptable for Judaic studies credit.
Earning a minor in Arts
A minor is comprised of 18 credit hours which are in a subject field that is different from a declared major. To earn a minor in a subject field as part of a Bachelor of Arts degree, a student must successfully complete 18 credit hours in a subject field approved by the Faculty of Arts as a minor.
Minors offered by the Faculty of Arts are listed under each area of study’s section of the Academic Calendar. Arts students may complete minor programs offered by other Faculties/Schools providing the minor program consists of a minimum of 18 credit hours and all other degree requirements are satisfied.
Degree requirements for all BA degrees
Students in the BA General, BA Advanced and BA Honours degree must complete the following requirements as part of their degree:
- 6 credit hours of humanities
- 6 credit hours of social sciences
- 6 credit hours of sciences
- 3 credit hours of written English (W)
- 3 credit hours of mathematics (M)
- 3 credit hours of Indigenous course content (students entering as of fall 2021)
- 6 credit hours in each of 5 different subject fields
The 3 credit hours of written English and 3 credit hours of mathematics are to satisfy the written English and mathematics requirement.
For full details on these requirements, refer to the Academic Calendar.
As in all language departments, students have access to the Faculty of Arts Language Centre with language laboratories that are well stocked with a variety of recorded material (to help with learning through listening), language practice software and programs designed specifically for certain courses that contain a lab component. Language tutors are also available.
Sample course offerings
- JUD 2340: Contemporary Israel (3 credit hours)
- JUD 2370: Jewish-Gentile Relations (3 credit hours)
- JUD 3010: Topics in Jewish Studies (3 credit hours)
- ARA 1000: Elementary Arabic (6 credit hours)
- HEB 1250: Hebrew 1 (6 credit hours)
- YDSH 2320: Yiddish Literature and Language (6 credit hours)
- ANTH 2650: Archeology of the Ancient Near East (3 credit hours)
- GRMN 3262: Representations of the Holocaust in English Translation (C) (3 credit hours)
- POLS 3342: Arab-Israeli Conflict (3 credit hours)
- RLGN 2162: Great Jewish Books(3 credit hours)
For full course descriptions, please visit the Academic Calendar.
The following are minimum requirements for entry into the Judaic studies minor. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
Admission and application inquiries
424 UMSU University Centre
University of Manitoba
66 Chancellors Circle
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada
Room 424 UMSU University Centre
65 Chancellors Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)