Registered programs FAQ
We are here to help. If one of your questions isn't answered here, please visit one of our customer service desks.
When can I register and who can register for a program?
Registrations are accepted for Fall programs starting in mid-August, Winter programs in mid-November and Spring/Summer in mid-March. Registration is open to any person 17 years of age and older. You do not have to be a UM student or UM employee to take a program.
How do I register and pay for a program?
Note: if you answer ‘YES’ to any of the health screening questions on the program registration form, you must have your doctor complete the Medical Information Release form (PDF) to be eligible to participate in our programs.
The following methods of payment are accepted (depending on how your register):
- Visa, MasterCard, personal cheque, cash, debit
Can I have a refund or transfer my program?
Please visit the Sport and Recreation Policies page for details about refunds and transfers.
Where can I park?
Please learn more about parking for programs on the Sport and Recreation page.
How do I access the program facilities?
- Recreation Services Member: If you have an active Recreation Services membership, please use your member card and enter as usual through the turnstiles at the Frank Kennedy Centre/Active Living Centre customer service desk.
- Non-Member: Please arrive early on the first day to pick up your facility access ID card from our Customer Service Desk. Be sure to have a photo ID available. We will provide each non-member with one card that will be used to access all current and future programs. Please note that swipe access begins 30 minutes before the start of your class.
For programs in the Max Bell Centre:
- Recreation Services Member: If you have an active Recreation Services membership, please use your member card and enter as usual through the turnstiles at the Max Bell Centre customer service desk.
- Non-Member: If you do not have a Recreation Services membership, go to the Max Bell Centre customer service desk, identify yourself as a program participant and have our program receipt as well as photo I.D. You will receive a program access card at your first class. Entry for program classes is available 30 minutes before the start of your class. Access to facilities is limited to attending your designated program ONLY and is NOT TO BE USED for any other personal activity. Abuse of our program access policy may result if removal from the program without refund.
For programs at the Joe Doupe Recreation Centre:
- Recreation Services Member: If you have an active Recreation Services membership, please use your member card and enter as usual through the turnstile at the Joe Doupe Recreation Centre customer service desk.
- Non-Member: If you do not have a Recreation Services membership, go to the Joe Doupe Recreation Centre customer service desk, identify yourself as a program participant and have our program receipt as well as photo I.D. with you. You will receive a program access card at your first class. Entry for program classes is available 30 minutes before the start of your class. Access to facilities is limited to attending your designated program ONLY and is NOT TO BE USED for any other personal activity. Abuse of our program access policy may result if removal from the program without refund.
Where can I change for my program?
The men's and women's locker rooms as well as the community change rooms in the Frank Kennedy Centre, Active Living Centre and Joe Doupe Recreation Centre have daily use lockers and shower facilities. If using daily-use lockers, please bring your own lock or you can rent one from the customer service desk for $1. Towel rentals are also available for $1 at the customer service desk.
What should I bring to class?
We recommend bringing a water bottle, wear comfortable clothes, clean indoor shoes (if shoes are required) and maybe a towel to your program (towel rentals are available for $1 at the customer service desk). Unless otherwise noted at the time of registration, general equipment will be provided for your class. If you prefer your own work-out mat, feel free to bring it.
Is there a way to stay informed on class location changes or unscheduled class cancellations?
Can I still access the program if there is a Bomber Game or special event at IG Field?
Access to the Fort Garry campus will be limited to 1.5 hours prior to large scale events (such as Bomber games and concerts). Only vehicles with a valid UM or Winnipeg Blue Bombers season ticket parking pass will have access to the campus at these times. All other visitors will have to enter the campus using public transportation (Winnipeg Transit) or active transportation (walk, run, bike, roller-blade). We anticipate these changes will only affect a small number of days throughout the summer and fall. Programs impacted by Event Days will be cancelled and these dates will be indicated at the time of registration. Please visit umanitoba.ca/eventday for all up to date information
When is the customer service desk open?
Our customer service desks are staffed during all operating hours ensuring you have access to help when you need it. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please talk to one of our staff members.
Is there a lost and found?
If you have lost or found an item, please contact or visit our customer service desk at either campus location.
Do your facilities have automated external defibrillators?
For your safety and peace of mind, all our facilities are equipped with automated external defibrillators or AEDs. The Active Living Centre AED is located across from the customer service desk, the Frank Kennedy AED is located across from the old customer service desk, the Max Bell Centre AED is located in front of the customer service desk and the Joe Doupe AED is located across from the weight room. If possible, please alert a staff member to activate emergency medical services before you activate an AED.
Is there security on campus?
In the event of an emergency, our staff are informed and trained in emergency procedures. If you are in need of assistance, please alert one of our staff members. Campus Security Services is also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by dialing #555 from any MTS or Rogers Cell phone, 555 from any university line or by dialing 204-474-9341.
For all non-urgent calls, please contact 204-474-9312 (Fort Garry Campus) or 204-789-3330 (Bannatyne Campus).
The campus Safewalk Program is available to escort an individual from one campus location to another 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To reach the Safewalk office, contact 204-474-9312. Emergency telephone stations (Code Blue Poles) are situated in various key locations across both campus locations. The stations provide instant communication to Campus Security in the event of an emergency.
What happens if a class is cancelled or the facility is closed?
In the event of an unplanned pool closure or a last minute class cancellation, a credit will be placed on your account. The credit amount will be for the missed class only and can be used toward any program or service for up to one year. Where possible, every effort will be made to notify you of the closure. To ensure we can contact you regarding any cancellations or closures, please provide us with your most current phone number and email address.
Also, download the Recreation Services mobile app for instant updates.
Do you need my contact information?
To ensure we can provide with the highest level of customer service, we kindly ask that you provide us with your most up-to-date phone number and email address. There may be instances where we need to contact you i.e. unexpected class cancellation or campus closure.
Please let us know if you change your mailing address, emergency contact information, phone number or email address. Also, if you experience a change in your health status, we require you to complete a new PAR-Q form.
What is your contact information?
U of M Recreation Services
146 Frank Kennedy Centre
420 University Crescent
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada
How do I become a certified Fitness Instructor?
All of our group fitness instructors are accredited through the Manitoba Fitness Council (MFC) the acknowledged standard for fitness leaders in the province of Manitoba. Please visit the MFC website for details on becoming certified.