Policies, forms and registration information
Find information about registration, our policies or forms and documents that you might need to help you with programs and services that we offer.
Including cancellations, refunds and transfers.
Cancellation Policy (Effective as of Dec. 1, 2022)
- Members can cancel their membership with two months' notice.
- The membership will end two months from the day the cancellation request is processed.
Payroll Deduction Memberships
- Members on payroll deductions can cancel with two months' notice.
- Deductions will continue for two months from the day the cancellation request is processed.
- If the UM employee on payroll cancels, the spouse/dependent's payroll membership will also be cancelled after two months.
- Members on a payment plan can cancel their membership with two months' notice.
- Members are responsible for paying the remaining two months of their membership upfront at the time of cancellation.
- Non-student members can freeze their membership for one-month increments without advance notice for $10/month + GST, paid upfront (i.e. a three-month freeze would cost $30 + GST).
- A medical freeze can be applied to a membership at no cost to the member. All medical freeze requests will be reviewed/approved by the Director of Recreation Services
- For members on payroll deduction, gym fees will continue to be deducted, and their membership will be extended by the duration of the freeze (i.e. there will be a period towards the end of their membership where they will no longer have deductions, but their gym access will still be active).
- For members on a payment plan, monthly payments will continue, and their membership will be extended by the duration of the freeze.
Refunds - Programs and courses (including swimming)
If a registrant withdraws from a program ten or more days before the start date, they may receive a refund less a $15 + GST administration fee.
If a registrant withdraws from a program less than ten days before the start date, they may receive a credit for the program's value, less a $15 + GST administration fee. The credit is valid for one year from the cancellation date and can be used to register for any other sports and recreation programs or services. Credits can be transferred among immediate family members.
Transfers - Programs and courses (including swimming)
Transfer requests received 10 or more days prior to a program start date will be granted provided there is space in the program.
Transfer requests received less than 10 days before the start date will be granted provided there is space in the program and are subject to a $15 + GST processing fee.
Refunds - Occupational testing, CPR and First Aid
ALL OCCUPATIONAL TESTING CHANGES, CANCELLATIONS, AND WITHDRAWALS MUST BE APPROVED BY THE U OF M OCCUPATIONAL TESTING COORDINATORS. SEND REQUESTS TO firstname.lastname@example.org.
Test fees must be paid in full to complete registration and are good for one test only. An applicant can only be scheduled for one test/appointment at a time. For example, an applicant cannot book a second test time (re-attempt) until their first test has been completed.
Applicants cannot make any changes within 4 business days (Monday - Friday) of their test. Any changes made within 4 business days will forfeit the full test fee.
If an applicant withdraws from a test:
- more than 10 business days before the test, they may receive a full refund less a $15 + GST administration fee.
- 5-10 business days before the test, they may receive a credit less a $15 + GST administration fee. Credits can be transferred among immediate family members and are valid for one year.
- 4 business days or less before the test, they will forfeit the full test fee.
If an applicant does not show up for the scheduled test time, the applicant forfeits the full test fee.
If the applicant wants to re-register for the same recruitment and there are remaining spots available, the applicant must pay a new test fee.
A late registration fee of $50 + GST will be applied (in addition to the test fee) if the applicant registers after the recruitment deadline.
Refunds - Foundation fitness testing (KPER1500)
Foundations Fitness testing fees are included in your course tuition and are not refundable.
If a student does not show up for their scheduled assessment time, or makes a change with less than 48-hours notice, the student forfeits the assessment session.
If the student wants to re-register, a new assessment fee must be paid. If the student requires an assessment after the registration deadline (as outlined in your course material), a late registration fee of $50 + GST will also be applied.
Refunds - Personal training, fitness assessments and foundation testing
Personal training and fitness assessments are nonrefundable. If a client does not show up for the scheduled personal training/assessment time or requests a change with less than 24 hours notice, the client will be charged a $30 + GST fee. This fee must be paid before your next appointment or within one week (whichever comes first). If the outstanding fee is not paid by the deadline, access to the facilities will be suspended until the balance is paid.
Refunds - Junior Bisons tryouts
Junior Bisons tryout fees are nonrefundable. Unless a medical certificate is presented, no refunds will be granted.
Support worker policy and expectations
UM Recreation Services permits respite/support workers to access Recreation Services facilities free of charge provided that:
The respite/support worker can provide legal identification proving that they are a respite/support worker or approval from the member's legal guardian has been provided.
Forms and documents
I am a new customer. What do I need to do?
To set up your online account, visit the Create New Account page. You will be able to create your new account, complete the required information and set a password. If you receive an error message or are unable to create a new account, contact our Customer Service Team at 204-474-6100.
I would like to change my account information. How can I do this?
Once you are logged in, you can change some of your account information in the My Account dropdown, though there is a limit to what can be changed. Contact our Customer Service Team at 204-474-6100 for inquiries about changing locked account information. We encourage all customers to review their account information for accuracy and to ensure your account information is current.
How do I create a family account?
To create a family account, please visit one of our Customer Service Desks at the Active Living Centre on the Fort Garry campus, or the Joe Doupe Recreation Centre on the Bannatyne campus. We encourage all customers to review their account information for accuracy and to ensure your account information is current.
Can I purchase my gym membership online?
Yes! Membership applications can be submitted online and our customer service team will process the application and share details on how to make payment.