Religious/Spiritual Leaders & Professionals
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Professionals in religion conduct religious services, administer the rites of a religious faith or denomination, provide spiritual and moral guidance and perform other functions associated with the practice of a religion or to a religious community. They may perform these duties in churches, synagogues, temples or other places of worship; in institutions such as schools, hospitals, prisons, industrial facilities, corporate enterprises; or they may work in private practice. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Sokanu: Clergy - occupational profile and videos (U.S.)
- A Day in the Life of a Clergy Member - The Princeton Review (U.S)
- Chaplain Career Overview - Canadian Forces
- Manitoba Aboriginal Health Careers - Success Stories - Spiritual Care Provider
- Day in the life of a Spiritual Health Specialist - Health Sciences Centre
- Interview: Get to know the new Elder-in-Residence at the Indigenous Student Centre - UM Today
- A day in the life of the Phap Van Buddhist temple - National Post
- A Normal Week in the Life of a Pastor - The Gospel Coalition
- A Working Life: The Imam - The Guardian
Educational requirements for religious leaders vary and may require the completion of a college or university program in religious studies. Some positions may also require a master's of divinity or theology and a period of study with a senior minister. (National Occupational Classification)
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Faculty of Arts
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Religion
- Department of Native Studies
- Catholic Studies Program
- Judaic Studies Program
- Current status of Theology department - St. John's College
- Institutional Members List - Canadian Corporation of Studies in Religion
- Supervised Pastoral Education - Canadian Association for Spiritual Care
- Search Directories - University of Manitoba
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Collective Agreements - Manitoba Association of Healthcare Professionals (look in hospital agreements for "chaplain" and "spiritual care" positions)
- Ministers’ Salary Schedule and Cost of Living Groups - The United Church of Canada
- Employment Trends (Professors of religion) - American Academy of Religion (U.S)
- Manitoba Multifaith Council
- Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion
- Canadian Multifaith Federation
- Canadian Theological Society
- Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- American Academy of Religion (U.S)
- International Association for the History of Religions
- Spiritual Health Care Links - Manitoba Government
- Canadian Council of Churches
- Muslim Association of Canada (see categories in "institutions")
- Buddhist Centres across Canada - Buddhist.ca
- Jobs - Manitoba Islamic Association
- Careers - Muslim Association of Canada
- Job Postings - Canadian Society for the Study of Religion
- News section has job postings - Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion
- Job Openings - National Campus Ministry Association