Faculty of Architecture, Department of City Planning
201H John A. Russell Building
84 Curry Place, University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus)
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2M6
- PhD (Planning), University of Waterloo, Waterloo.
- BSc. (Hons) (Development Planning), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
Research / bio
Future cities; scenario planning and social equity; environmental governance and policy; planning sustainable working landscapes; planning practice in sub-Saharan Africa; planning climate resilient cities; evidence synthesis
My research interests focus on the links between environmental sustainability and human well-being and their implications for planning sustainable communities and cities. I reckon that social inequities underpin the growing environmental sustainability challenges and are critical for implementing lasting solutions. Consequently, I approach my research through a social equity lens in order to address inequities in plan-making and implementation. My current research focuses on two areas: (1) integrating social equity in scenario planning; and (2) the social equity implications of deep carbon cuts. My prior research examined approaches for planning multifunctional working landscapes in Saskatchewan, Canada, as well as (peri-) urban land-use planning in Ghana.
- Ayambire, Raphael Anammasiya, Jeremy Pittman, Michael Drescher, Juan Moreno-Cruz, and Andrea Olive. "Governance of working landscapes: a conceptual framework." Sustainability Science (2022): 1-18.
- Ayambire, Raphael Anammasiya, and Jeremy Pittman. "Opening the black box between governance and management: A mechanism-based explanation of how governance affects the management of endangered species." Ambio (2022): 1-16.
- Amponsah, Owusu, Daniel Kwame Blija, Raphael Anammasiya Ayambire, Stephen Appiah Takyi, Henry Mensah, and Imoro Braimah. "Global urban sprawl containment strategies and their implications for rapidly urbanising cities in Ghana." Land Use Policy 114 (2022): 105979.
- Reiter, Dana, Jeremy Pittman, Raphael Anammasiya Ayambire, H. Carolyn P. Brown, Sheila R. Colla, Theresa M. Loewen, Jenny L. McCune, Andrea Olive, and Lael Parrott. "Lessons learnt from multiple private land conservation programs in Canada to inform species at risk conservation." The Canadian Geographer/Le Géographe canadien (2022).
- Ayambire, Raphael Anammasiya, and Jeremy Pittman. "Adaptive co-management of environmental risks in result-based agreements for the provision of environmental services: A case study of the South of the Divide Conservation Action Program." Journal of environmental management 295 (2021): 113111.
- Ayambire, Raphael Anammasiya, Jeremy Pittman, and Andrea Olive. "Incentivizing stewardship in a biodiversity hot spot: land managers in the grasslands." FACETS 6, no. 1 (2021): 1307-1322.
- Takyi, Stephen Appiah, Owusu Amponsah, Michael Osei Asibey, and Raphael Anammasiya Ayambire. "An overview of Ghana’s educational system and its implication for educational equity." International Journal of Leadership in Education 24, no. 2 (2021): 157-182.
- Ayambire, Raphael Anammasiya, Owusu Amponsah, Charles Peprah, and Stephen Appiah Takyi. "A review of practices for sustaining urban and peri-urban agriculture: Implications for land use planning in rapidly urbanising Ghanaian cities." Land Use Policy 84 (2019): 260-277.