- 07+ Ph.D. Program, University College London, England
- 1995 M.Arch. University of Manitoba, Canada (Professional)
- 1992 Graduate Diploma in Housing, McGill University, Canada (Post-Professional)
- 1991 Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering, Yonsei University, Korea (Professional)
- 1995 | Chon found a design practice DIN Projects in Winnipeg, together with Neil Minuk and Jonathan Hughes.
- 1996 | Chon joined the Faculty of Architecture and taught in the graduate program of architecture until 2007. His graduate studios worked on mixed-use urban housing and urban design founded on post-humanist perspectives. His graduate theory seminar focused on realigning architecture within the context of contemporary theory culture.
- 2005 | Chon found OS1 Design/Architecture in Winnipeg, together with Herbert Enns and Kim Wiese.
- 2008 | Chon joined the Environmental Design Program. He teaches design studio and a course on design precedents. While serving as the studio chair, Chon works on the beginning design as ‘experiments’ and its integration with other supporting courses.
- 2009 | Chon found STUFF, an idea-based practice focused on environmental design.
- 2012 | Chon served as co-curator and co-commissioner, together with 5468796 Architecture, for the Canada’s official entry at the 2012 Venice Biennale in Architecture, entitled ‘Migrating Landscapes’.
- 2012 | Chon opened MAKE, a crossroad event-coffee venue for the public and design.
- 2013 | Chon served as the chair of ATMOSPHERE 2013 Symposium, entitled “Ecology and Design”.
- 2014 | Chon’s design work was recognized as the Grand Jury Prize Winner of 2014 Commerce Design Winnipeg.
- 2015 | Chon initiated OCDI (Open City Design Institute) and OUI (Office for Urban Interiors) as extensions of his interests in posthuman/cyborgian conditions and emergence of ‘interiority’ in contemporary cities.
Interests [research] [practice] [teaching]
- Post-humanism and Urban Interiority
- Hybrid morphologies and cyborg urbanism
- Urbanism [Postwar, Contemporary, Asian]
- Events, migration and proto-urban conditions
- Exhibition/event as generative practice
- Emerging forms of practice and design education
- 2016 | BEE HOUSE LAB, International Design Competition to design and fabricate bee house prototypes for research | creator + organizer
- 2016 | + C-House, Triplex inner-city urban housing development | design-lead + developer (development)
- 2016 | “022_CROSS”: Imagine Portage & Main, exhibition of the international design competition results, MAKE, Winnipeg MB | February | curator
- 2014-2016 | Y-House: Multi-Family Condominium, Seoul Korea | design-lead (built)
- 2015 | “TRANS-PLAN 2016: WATER+”, International Student Design Competition to design and install exhibition at A2G | creator + organizer
- 2015 | “BUILD”, exhibition of 1:1 scale walls of projects by 5468796 Architecture at A2G | creator + curator
- 2015 | “Fit-Nation”, exhibition of 33projects (US curated by AIA) + 11 Manitoba projects on Fitness and Health at A2G | curator
- 2015 | Guggenheim Helsinki Design Competition, professional submission with 5468796 Architecture | urban design-lead
- 2015 | THE BENCH, International Design Competition to design a public bench on Corydon Avenue | creator + organizer
- 2015+ | “Next Homes – New Paradigms of Urban Living”, multiple exhibitions, Seoul Korea | proposed | creator+curator
- 2015 | “Kimchi Sushi SOUTH”, Japanese Restaurant Interior Fit-out, Winnipeg MB design-lead (built)
- 2015 | “021_BENCH”: exhibition of the international design competition results, MAKE Winnipeg MB | September | creator +curator
- 2015 | “020_COOL”: exhibition of the international design competition results, MAKE, Winnipeg MB July | curator
Papers & publications
- 2016 | Article/Critique: “5468796 The Resonance Yard in a Civic Realm”, SPACE Magazine, No. 578, Jan. 2016
- 2015 | “BUILD” - A2G Primer, exhibition pamphlet on the work of 5468796, Dec. 2015
- 2015 | “Fit Nation” - A2G Primer, exhibition pamphlet on Fitness and Health built environments of Winnipeg, Oct., 2015
- 2015 | “CONSTRUCT”, exhibition response & critique on photography works of Lisa Stinner-Kun, Mar., 2015
- 2015 | Article/Critique: “Real-ness & Now-ness”, SPACE Magazine, No. 567, Feb. 2015