- Jazz piano
- Double bass
Private music lessons and masterclasses
Students of all ages and levels are welcome to take classes offered by our Division of Prep Studies. Our teachers are highly qualified and have both performance and pedagogical experience.
We offer masterclasses to give students additional insights into their playing. Our Enrichment Program is designed to challenge gifted young students who want to expand their musical range and knowledge.
Lessons are available on the University of Manitoba Fort Garry campus and throughout the city.
On this page
We offer music lessons for the following:
- Jazz saxophone
We also offer private lessons in East Indian music, including the following:
- Gazal, geet and Bollywood vocals
Our Instructors are professional musicians, performers and educators who provide lessons in a positive and supportive environment.
Register for private lessons
Contact Prep Studies to discuss your lesson needs, such as your:
- Area of the city
- Previous experience
- Genres you may want to study
Our coordinator will inquire with teachers on your behalf and recommend a teacher that best suits your needs.
The teacher will then contact you to introduce themselves and discuss lesson arrangements.
Once a lesson time has been arranged with your teacher, please contact the Prep Studies office to receive an online link that will allow you to register.
Unique to the Prep Studies division, the Enrichment Program challenges gifted young students in the areas of voice, piano, and instrumental music.
Auditions for the Enrichment Program are held each year in June for admission into the program the following September. Once accepted, Enrichment Program students commit to attending regular, weekly lessons and participating in a special program of masterclasses.
- Auditions for 2022-23 Enrichment Program: TBD
- Registration deadline: TBD
In our regular and Enrichment Program masterclasses, students work one-on-one with guest clinicians to help improve their technique.
Regular program masterclasses
Regular program masterclasses are open to all students registered in individual music lessons with Prep Studies, including students who have been accepted into the Enrichment Program.
- 2022-23 Regular Program Masterclass Schedule: TBD
Enrichment Program masterclasses
Enrichment Program masterclasses are open to students who successfully auditioned for the Enrichment Program in June. Students participate in a minimum of three masterclasses each year.
Please contact the Prep Studies office if you are unsure of your eligibility.
- 2022-23 Enrichment Program Masterclass Schedule
- Eric Lussier - to be confirmed
- Darryl Friesen - Saturday, January 21, 2023 - time to be confirmed
How do I participate in masterclasses?
Students can register for masterclasses by contacting the Prep Studies office after consultation with their teacher. Following registration, students must submit the following information two weeks before each event:
- Complete title of piece (include movement number, opus number, etc.)
- Name of composer
- Scheduling requests (if applicable). Time requests received with insufficient notice will not be accommodated.
When students at different levels participate in the same class (e.g., beginner to Grade 6 piano), extra time will be allotted to the more advanced students.
When EP and regular program students participate in the same class, extra time will be allotted to the EP students.
Recitals for Prep Studies students
All Prep Studies students are invited to perform in our recitals. Locations will be confirmed closer to recital date.
How do I participate in a recital?
To perform in a Prep Studies recital, please submit the following information to the firstname.lastname@example.org one week prior to the event:
- Title and composer of the piece
- Length of piece in minutes
- Recital date and preferred time slot
Family and friends are welcome to attend these events. All participants are asked to stay for the duration of the recital.
We make every effort to honour recital time requests, but it is not always possible to schedule everyone at their preferred time due to the number of students in our program.
Annual piano concerto competition
The annual Prep Studies piano competition is open to piano students enrolled in the Division of Preparatory Studies for the current year.
Students may choose a complete concerto, an individual movement or a combination of movements that do not exceed the time limit.
- Date: Saturday, February 4, 2023
- Location: Eva Clare Hall
- Registration deadline: Friday, January 27, 2023
Register for the competition
To register for the competition, print and complete the registration form and either scan and email it or mail it to the Prep Studies office.
- Applications are processed on a first-come-first-served basis. If you have a scheduling request, you must submit it at the time of application. We will make every effort to honour these requests, as time permits.
- Submit completed application forms and fees to the Prep Studies office by 4 p.m., Jan. 27, 2023.
- Arrangements for the collaborative pianist are the exclusive responsibility of the participant. You must include the name of the collaborative pianist on the application form.
- Music need not be performed from memory.
- You must provide one original copy of the solo music to the adjudicator.
- Anyone may attend the competition.
- The decision of the adjudicator is final. Results will be sent by email the week following the competition.
- Written adjudications will be provided for all students. Adjudications will be mailed to the appropriate Prep Studies instructor the week following the competition.
- The names of the winners may be posted on the Prep Studies website.
- Winners in each category will be awarded a modest prize – amounts to be determined.
2022 piano concerto competition winners
Competition date: May 7, 2022
Adjudicator: Bennet Charter
Congratulations to all students who participated in the 2022 concerto competition!
First place winners
5 - 8 year-olds Ella Wang
9 and 10 year-olds Vienna Lu
11 and 12 year-olds Max Wu
13 and 14 year-olds Maggie Zhang
15- and 16-year-olds Emma Yang