Producers, Directors, Choreographers & Related Occupations
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Producers and Directors
Produce or direct stage, television, radio, video, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Responsible for creative decisions, such as interpretation of script, choice of actors or guests, set design, sound, special effects, and choreography. (O*Net Online)
Create new dance routines. Rehearse performance of routines. May direct and stage presentations. (O*Net Online)
Film and Video Editors
Edit moving images on film, video, or other media. May edit or synchronize soundtracks with images. (O*Net Online)
Find detailed information about the occupation, incl. typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Browse Film Departments (roles on various roles in Film) - Get on Set Manitoba
- Career Explorer by Sokanu - U.S.-based occupational information and videos
- The Princeton Review - Day in the Life Interviews
- Careers in Culture: Film and Broadcasting - from the Cultural Human Resources Council (Canada)
- How to become a... Movie Director/ Producer/ etc - from MovieStaff.com
- A Typical Day on Set- Film Training Manitoba
- Discover your Future in Film and Theatre (see Arts 2021 Information sessions) - University of Manitoba
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Search Directories (Search for Communications degrees and diplomas)
- Film Training Manitoba- Post-secondary Film Training
- National Screen Institute - Training organization for writers, directors and producers in film, television and digital media in Western Canada
- American Film Institute
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Manitoba Labour Market Occupational Forecasts 2016-2022
- Collective Agreement for Motion Picture and Television Production- IATSE
- I want to be a director: What will my salary be?- The Globe and Mail
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Alliance of Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA)
- Canadian Media Producers Association
- Directors Guild of Canada
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts (IATSE)
- Documentary Organization of Canada
- Motion Pictures Association Canada
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television
- Canadian Society of Cinematographers
- Canadian Cinema Editors
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Creative Manitoba
- On Screen Manitoba
- Manitoba Film and Music
- Winnipeg Film Group
- Get on Set Manitoba
- Playback - Magazines and Publications
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Job Postings- National Film Board of Canada
- Creative Manitoba
- Job Board- Producers Guild of America
- Job Board- citt icts
External resources that will provide you with additional information about the occupation, areas of work and opportunities to build experience:
- Black Hole Theatre Company and English, Film, and Theatre Students’ Association (EFTSA) – University of Manitoba student groups for those involved in studying and performing theatre
- Winnipeg Film Group - Artist-run education, production, exhibition and distribution centre committed to promoting the art of cinema
- BIPOC Artists' Film Fund - Production fund to support BIPOC filmmakers
- UWpg Film Festival - Film Festival that showcases the work of post-secondary filmmakers from across Canada
- Gimli Film Festival
- Reel Pride - Film Festival formed to bring LGBTTQ* films to Winnipeg audiences.
- BIPOC TV and Film - Resources available for BIPOC working in TV and film
- Winnipeg International Film Festival
- Creative Manitoba: Careers in the Arts Youth and Young Adult Mentorship Programs - Opportunities for mentorship by professionals working in an arts or cultural careers
- Manitoba Film Classification Board
- National Film Board of Canada
Manitoba Arts Council
- Canada Council for the Arts
- Canada Media Fund
- American Cinema Editors
- Freeze Frame - not-for-profit organization offering workshops and programs throughout the year for young People