Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Arts administrators play an important part in the development of new projects, making arrangements for tours and events as well as taking on marketing and planning responsibilities. They are employed in any organization that has responsibility for organizing, planning and delivering artistic or cultural events. There are many government-funded initiatives and local partnerships which employ administrators on various short and longer-term contracts. Many of these projects focus on development of arts activity in both urban and rural communities with a view to stimulating local economic development, addressing social inclusion and ultimately building stronger communities. (U.K. Prospects)
This Arts Administrator profile includes information about managers, directors, executives and other administrative officers working in theatres, galleries, museums, and other arts and culture organizations.
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- So, what is Arts Administration? - from the AAAE
- A Day in the Life of a Performing Arts Administrator - The Princeton Review
- Arts Administrator job profile - from U.K. Prospects
- Careers in Culture - from the Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC)
- Article: The art of evolution - profile on an Art Executive from Financial Post
- Cultural Managers - Chart of Competencies - CHRC
- Concert Hall Manager profile - from CareersInMusic.com
- Interview with the Deputy Director and COO of Cleveland Public Library - JobShadow.com
- Podcast Interview: Career Trajectory of an Arts Administrator - Work in Culture podcast episode 001
The University of Manitoba does not offer specific training in Arts Administration. However, degree programs offered at the U of M may provide an educational foundation for positions in this field and for graduate programs offered at other schools.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Association of Arts Administration Educators (AAAE) - international programs directory
- Search Education Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Art Museum Director Salary Survey (U.S.) - from AAMD
- 2017 National Compensation Study for Cultural Not-for-profit Managerial and Administrative Positions - Canada's Cultural HR Council
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Arts Consultants Canada
- Association of Art Museum Directors (AAMD)
- International Association of Venue Managers
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Creative Manitoba (formerly Arts and Cultural Industries Association of Manitoba)
- Professional Association of Canadian Theatres
- Orchestras Canada - members
- Canadian Arts Presenting Association - members list
- Association of Manitoba Museums - list of museums
- Canadian Museum Directory - Canadian Museums Association
- Association of Children's Museums - directory (international)
- Canadian Heritage Information Network - Government of Canada
- Arts Dealers Association of America (U.S.) - gallery directory
- Theatre Communications Group (U.S.) - member theatres
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.