Volunteer Coordinator and Volunteer Services Director
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Managers of Volunteer Resources research, develop and manage volunteer programs and provide leadership in the effective engagement of volunteers to further the mission of not-for-profit, voluntary and public sector organizations. They may work part time on contract, or have additional responsibilities within the same organization. (alis)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis (includes video) - Alberta-based occupational information
- Position Levels/Profiles - from the Volunteer Management Professionals of Canada
- Interview: Volunteer Administrator- from StudyinCanada.com
- Volunteer Coordinator occupational profile - Volunteer Pro
Volunteer Coordinators and Managers come from a wide variety of educational backgrounds. Certification in volunteer management and/or education in social sciences, human resources, community development, or adult education is an asset. (HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector)
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Faculty of Arts
- Recreation & Community Development (Faculty of Kin. & Rec. Mgmt.)
- Faculty of Social Work
- Asper School of Business
- Interdisciplinary Health Program (Rady Faculty of Health Sciences)
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Government of Canada Job Bank: Trend Analysis - Job Market Report:
- Salary considerations & highlights of 2015 survey - Volunteer Management Professionals of Canada
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Social & Community Services Managers job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Volunteer Management Professionals of Canada - learn more about required competencies and certification
- Council for Certification in Volunteer Administration (U.S.)
- Listing of international associations - from the International Association for Volunteer Effort
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Manitoba 211- Directory of Social Service Organizations in Manitoba
- Manitoba Federation of Non-Profit Organizations
- Volunteer Management Professionals of Cananda - Member Organizations
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- Volunteer Manitoba
- Volunteer Canada
- e-Volunteerism - A Journal to Inform and Challenge Leaders of Volunteers
- A - Z Volunteer Management Library - Energize Inc.
- International Association for Volunteer Effort
- International Journal of Volunteer Administration - Association of Leaders in Volunteer Engagement