Peforming Artists: Music, Dance, Acting
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Dancers use their bodies to interpret feelings, ideas, moods, music, and drama. They may perform alone or with others in a group, before live audiences or in front of television and film cameras. (alis) Dancers are employed by ballet and dance companies, television and film productions and nightclubs and similar establishments. This unit group also includes dance teachers who are usually employed by dance academies and dance schools. (NOC)
Actors and comedians perform roles in motion picture, television, theatre and radio productions to entertain a variety of audiences. They are employed by motion picture, television, theatre and other production companies. This unit group includes acting teachers employed by private acting schools. (NOC)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupation Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions:
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based information:
- Sokanu - occupational info and videos:
- Dancer Career Profile UCAS.com
- How to become a professional dancer (personal interviews) - BBC
- What You Need to Know to Become a Professional Dancer - Performing Dance Arts
- How to Become a Dancer on Broadway - Backstage.com
- A Day in the Life of a Ballet Dancer - TheBallet.com
- Role profile: Actor - Get On Set Manitoba
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized programs in Dance. Nor does UM offer a specific Acting program; it does however offer practicums and a theatrical techniques course within the Theatre program - view the Academic Calendar for more information. Also view the links below for information about dance and other acting training programs in Canada. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Search Directories
- Article: Four Schools in Canada That Prepare Actors, Comedians, and Filmmakers - Backstage
- Universities Canada - Search Program ("acting")
- Post-Secondary Dance Programs in Canada - CoreDance listing includes University of Winnipeg
- Universities Canada - Search Program ("dance")
- Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials - information for foreign-trained professionals
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- How Much Can You Make In Dance? Here Are More Than 200 Actual Salaries - Dance Magazine
- Labour Market Information for the Cultural Sector (2019) - Cultural HR Council
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Dance Manitoba Inc.
- Dance Transition Resource Centre
- Dance Studies Association
- International Dance Association
- Canadian Association of Standup Comedians
- Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA)
- Canadian Actors Equity Association
Industry Directories, Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Professional Association of Canadian Theatres
- Manitoba Production Directory - On Screen Manitoba
- Canadian Dance Assembly
- International Association for Dance Medicine & Science
- International Dance Entrepreneurs Association
- Sacred Dance Guild
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.