Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Dance Therapists focus on non-verbal behaviour and encourage clients to use creative, expressive movement to address emotional issues. Along with other creative arts therapists, Dance Therapists work in hospitals, schools, nursing homes, community agencies, and prisons. They may also work in private practices. (alis)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Job Profile: Dance Movement Psychotherapist - UK Prospects (UK)
- What is DMT? - Dance Movement Therapy Association in Canada
- From Dancer to Dance/Movement Therapist - from Interview En L'air
- What is Dance Movement Psychotherapy? - Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy (UK)
- What do Dance/Movement Therapists Do? - American Dance Therapy Association
- Dance/Movement Therapist - overview from the Health Professions Network
- Profiles of Dance/Movement Therapists - from the ADTA
The University of Manitoba does not offer specialized training in Dance/Movement Therapy (DMT). Please view the links within the 'Exploring Other Education Options' section below for more information about international training opportunities and alternate training pathways in North America. As per the note below, the U of M offers training in Social Work, Clinical Psychology, and Education (Counselling Psychology).
Note: An ADTA-approved alternative to completing a master’s program in DMT is a self-directed course of study which requires a master’s degree (ideally in a related field, such as another creative arts therapy, or social work, psychology, counselling, etc.), as well as pre-approved courses in dance movement therapy, supervision and internship hours. - Dance Movement Therapy Association in Canada
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Faculty of Social Work
- Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education - Counselling Psychology Specialization
Exploring Other Education Options
- Education - overview of alternate training routes and international programs from Dance Movement Therapy Association in Canada
- How to Become a DMT - from the American Dance Therapy Association
- Expressive Arts Therapy Diplomas - WHEAT Institute (private vocational institute with a Winnipeg location)
- Search Education Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Recommended pay rates for dance movement therapists (Australia) - DTTA
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Dance Movement Therapy Association in Canada (DMTAC)
- Dance Movement Therapy Ontario
- American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA)
- Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy (U.K.)
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association - Creative Arts in Counselling Chapter
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Creative Manitoba
- Personal Care Homes in Winnipeg - listing from the Winnipeg Regional Health Association
- Long Term & Continuing Care Association of Manitoba - member directory
- Canadian Association for Long Term Care - list of other provincial associations
- Children's Health Care Canada - members
- Correctional Service Canada - national facility directory
- Manitoba Justice Adult Correctional Centres and Youth Correctional Centres
- 211 Manitoba - community service directory
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.