Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Music Therapy is an allied health profession in which music is used within a therapeutic relationship to address physical, psychological, cognitive, and social needs of individuals. After assessing the strengths and needs of each client, the qualified music therapist provides the indicated treatment including creating, singing, moving to, and/or listening to music. Music therapists are employed in many different settings including general and psychiatric hospitals, community mental health agencies, rehabilitation centers, day care facilities, nursing homes, schools and private practice. (AMTA)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Sokanu: Music Therapist - occupational videos and info
- What is Music Therapy? - Canadian Association for Music Therapy
- A Career in Music Therapy - American Music Therapy Association
- Music Therapy Rocks at HSC - Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals
- Music Therapy Program at SickKids (video) - The Hospital for Sick Children
- Music Therapist Role - Berklee College of Music
- Music Therapist profile - Careers in Music.com
- Career Information - from Health Professions Network
The University of Manitoba does not offer training in Music Therapy. Please view the links below for information on training programs. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance with determining which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Canadian Education Programs in Music Therapy - CAMT
- U.S. Schools Offering Music Therapy - AMTA directory
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- I want to be a music therapist. What will my salary be? - The Globe & Mail
- Collective Agreements - Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals
- 2016 AMTA Member Survey and Workforce Analysis (pdf) - from the AMTA
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Association for Music Therapy (CAMT)
- Music Therapy Association of Manitoba
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA)
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
- Children's Health Care Canada - member & patrons
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.