Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Athletic therapists are experts at injury assessment and rehabilitation, and provide immediate care and reconditioning for all active individuals. Most athletic therapists provide emergency, on-field and clinical care of musculoskeletal injuries for professional and recreational athletes and facilitate a safe return to participation in sport and recreation activities. They also help athletes and active individuals prevent injury and improve their physical capabilities and active lifestyles. Others may work with the general public by providing aid in post-surgery recovery. Athletic therapists work with professional sports teams and in private practice. (alis)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Careers in Athletic Therapy - info and member spotlights from CATA
- What do athletic trainers do? - National Athletic Trainers Association (U.S.)
- Sokanu - occupational profile and videos
- Physiotherapy vs Athletic Therapy – What is the Difference (pdf) - Sport Medicine Council of Manitoba Newsletter
- Behind The Scenes: Athletic Therapy - NHL Winnipeg Jets News
- UM Today Article: The doctor is in (the Olympics) - profile of AT at the Olympics
- Profile: NHL Athletic Therapist (pdf) - article from On Manitoba, U of M Alumni Association
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
- CATA Accredited Institutions (Canada) - list of programs
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (U.S.) - Program Search
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Reports (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- NATA Salary Survey (U.S.) - see '25th Percentile Salary Guidelines for Employers'
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Manitoba Athletic Therapy Association (MATA)
- Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA)
- National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) - U.S. association
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- U Sports (formerly Canadian Interuniversity Sport)
- National College Athletics Association (U.S)
- Canada's National Sport Organizations (NSOs)
- National Women's Soccer League
- Major League Soccer
- Canadian Football League
- Premier Hockey Federation (formerly National Women's Hockey League)
- National Hockey League - Teams
- National Football League - Teams
- National Basketball Association - Teams
- Women's National Basketball Association
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.