Authors & Writers
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Authors and writers plan, research and write books, scripts, storyboards, plays, essays, speeches, manuals, specifications and other non-journalistic articles for publication or presentation. They are employed by advertising agencies, governments, large corporations, private consulting firms, publishing firms, multimedia/new-media companies and other establishments, or they may be self-employed. (National Occupational Classification)
This profile page also includes information about: Copywriters, Poets, Playwrights, Screenwriters, Game Writers, Lexicographers, Sports Writers and Food Critics. Select links on the right menu to learn about Technical & Scientific Writers, Editors, Public Relations Officers, Communications Officers and Journalists (incl. Sports Journalism).
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information: Writers and Authors
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information: Writers and Authors: Creative Writer
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information: Writers and Authors: Copy Writers
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information: Writers and Authors: Technical Writer
- OCCinfo by alis - View 5121 titles: Advertising Copy Writer, Creative Writer.
- Get on Set Manitoba - Role profile: Screen Writer (Head Writer, Story Writer)
- A day in the life of a Writer - from the Princeton Review (U.S.)
- Sokanu profiles & featured videos: Copywriter
- Sokanu profiles & featured videos: Author
- Sokanu profiles & featured videos: Sports Writer
- Sokanu profiles & featured videos: Food Critic
- International Game Developers Association - Game Writer occupational information
- Interviews from StudyinCanada.com: Writer
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Department of English, Theatre, Film & Media
- Centre for Creative Writing and Oral Culture (CCWOC) - Faculty of Arts, University of Manitoba
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis - Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Robert Half Salary Guide for Creative & Marketing Professionals - salary and hiring trends
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Authors Association
- Canadian Freelance Guild - CWA Canada
- Writers Guild of Canada - English-language screenwriters in television, movies and digital platforms
- The League of Canadian Poets
- Manitoba Writers' Guild
- Sheldon Oberman Mentorship Program
- Writers' Union of Canada
- Playwrights Guild of Canada
- Canadian Society of Children's Authors, Illustrators and Performers
- International Game Developers Association - Game Writing SIG
- Professional Speech Writers Association
- International Association of Business Communicators
- European Association for Lexicography - publications list & archives
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Literary Press Group of Canada - Canadian literary book publishers
- Association of Canadian Publishers - Members List
- Magazines Canada
- Cultural Human Resource Council of Canada
- Creative Manitoba
- Entertainment Software Association of Canada
- Information & Cultural Industries - Government of Canada Companies Database