Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
This profile includes information about musicians, singers and teachers of vocal and instrumental music. Musicians and singers perform with orchestras, choirs, opera companies and popular bands in establishments such as concert halls, lounges and theatres and in film, television and recording studios. Music teachers teach in conservatories, academies and private homes. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information:
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Sokanu - occupational info and videos (U.S.): Musician
- Career options for Musicians - University of Manitoba
- Careers in Composition - Berklee College of Music
- A Week in the Life of a Classical Musician - Canadian Council for the Arts
No standardized form of training is required to become a musician and the training programs are variable. The University of Manitoba offers the study of several forms of music through the Marcel A. Desautels Faculty of Music. If you intend to become a Music teacher within an elementary or secondary school, please see the Teacher page for additional information.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an educational plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
Information for foreign-trained Musicians - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Manitoba Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job Outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Canadian Federation of Musicians
- Music Professionals of Manitoba (formerly the Winnipeg Musicians’ Association)
- Organization of Canadian Symphony Musicians
- The Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA)
- Manitoba Registered Music Teachers Association - federation of private music teachers
- American Federation of Musicians
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Manitoba Music
- Music Canada (formerly the Canadian Recording Industry Association)
- Canadian Live Music Association
- Orchestras Canada - members
- Creative Manitoba
- Music Industries Association of Canada - music and sound products association
- Americana Music Association (U.S)
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
External resources that will provide you with additional information about the occupation, areas of work and opportunities to build experience:
- Manitoba Film & Sound Recording Development Corporation (Manitoba Film & Music)
- Resources and Links - Manitoba Music
- Musicians Rights’ Organization of Canada
- Creative Manitoba: Careers in the Arts Youth and Young Adult Mentorship Programs - Opportunities for mentorship by professionals working in an arts or cultural careers
- Manitoba Arts Council
- Artists in Healthcare Manitoba
- Apply to be a Canadian Armed Forces musician - Canadian Armed Forces
- Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
- Canadian Council for the Arts
- Musicians Without Borders
- MusicFest Canada - Annual festival for young musicians under 25
- Gamasutra: Audio section - Website for careers in the video game industry
- Interdisciplinary Network of Students in Music - occupations that build on music