Assessors, Valuators & Appraisers
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Assessors, valuators and appraisers determine the value of land, businesses, estates and other real property, for purposes of sale, purchase, taxation or disposal of assets. Appraisers also determine the value of personal and household items. Assessors, valuators and appraisers are employed by government agencies, real estate firms and other private companies, or they may be self-employed. (National Occupational Classification)
This profile page includes information about: Business Valuators, Property Assessors, Real Estate Appraisers, Fine Art & Antique Appraisers.
Find detailed information about the occupation, incl. typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*Net Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Real Estate Appraiser - occupational info and videos from Sokanu (U.S.)
- What Appraisers Do - Appraisal Institute of Canada
- What is a Chartered Business Valuator? - The Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
The University of Manitoba does not offer specialized education leading to a career as an Assessor, Valuator or Appraiser. Students may complete a related degree or coursework at the U of M on their pathway to a designation. Please view the links below for information on certification and specialized education programs in North America.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepages to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities. The following faculties offer courses relevant for this profession.
- Asper School of Business
- Department of Economics - Faculty of Arts
- Agribusiness & Agricultural Economics - Faculty of Agricultural & Food Sciences
Exploring Other Education Options
- Appraisal Institute of Canada - Designation Pathways
- Appraisal Institute of Canada - learn about classroom and distance learning programs at UBC and Laval University
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators - requirements and courses for certification
- Search Directories
Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials - Information for foreign-trained Appraisers
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Appraisal Institute of Canada (AIC) - Real Estate appraisal
- Institute of Municipal Assessors (Canada) - Property Assessment and related Taxation
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (CICBV)
- Canadian Professional Appraisers - specialized membership categories include Fine Art and Antiques
- Association of Assessing Officers of Manitoba (AAOM) - promoting Property Assessment profession in Manitoba
- Canadian National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO)
- National Society of Real Estate Appraisers (U.S.)
- American Society of Appraisers - represents all areas: Business Valuation, Real Estate, Personal Property, Equipment and Jewellery
- International Society of Appraisers: Canadian Chapter - specialties incl. Furniture, Art & Collectibles
- Appraisal Institute - association based in the U.S. that focuses on Real Estate
- Appraisal Foundation (U.S) - Appraisal Foundation: How to Become an Appraiser - Real Estate, Personal Property, Business Valuation, Mass Appraisal
- Appraisers Association of America - association of appraisers focused on Fine and Decorative Arts
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Appraisal Institute of Canada - Find an Appraiser - learn about where members are employed
- Accredited Professionals, incl. Chartered Business Valuators - Gov. of Canada Companies Directory
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Employment listings - Appraisal Institute of Canada (AIC)
- Employment Opportunities - Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
- Current Postings - Institute of Municipal Assessors
- Job Board - Canadian National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- Appraisal Institute Job Board - mostly U.S. postings
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- Municipal Relations - Property Assessment - Province of Manitoba
- City of Winnipeg - Assessment & Taxation Department
- Media & Press Articles - Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
- Canadian Personal Property Appraisers Group
- Canadian Property Valuation magazine - from AIC
- Valuation magazine - from the Appraisal Institute
- Article: If you know what it's worth, the price is right - The Globe & Mail - article speaks to occupation, salary and job outlook