Insurance Underwriter, Adjuster & Claims Examiner
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Insurance underwriters review and evaluate insurance applications to determine insurance risks, insurance premiums and extent of insurance coverage according to company policies. Insurance adjusters investigate insurance claims and determine the amount of loss or damages covered by insurance policies. They are employed in claims departments of insurance companies or as independent adjusters. Claims examiners examine claims investigated by insurance adjusters and authorize payments. Both underwriters and claims examiners are employed at head offices or branches of insurance companies. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Sokanu: Underwriter - occupational info and videos (U.S.)
- Career Connections - career awareness initiative from Insurance Brokers of Canada
- Post-Secondary Students & Grads - profiles, career quiz and educational information
- Financial Services Career Map and Job Finder Tool - Canadian Securities Institute
The University of Manitoba does not offer specialized education in insurance underwriting, adjusting or claims examination. Employers may require completion of some post-secondary education, on-the-job training and completion of insurance industry courses (NOC). Students considering work in this field are encouraged to connect directly with employers.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Exploring Education Options
- Universities & Colleges list - Insurance Institute of Canada's Career Connections portal
- Search Other Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis - Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank - Insurance Underwriters
- Canada Job Bank - Insurance Adjusters & Claims Examiners
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Insurance Institute of Canada: Industry Insights & Research - studies, reports and articles
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Institute of Underwriters
- Insurance Council of Manitoba - regulator & licensing body for brokers and adjusters
- Insurance Institute of Canada
- Manitoba Insurance Adjusters Association
- Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Canadian Independent Adjusters Association - member firms
- Directory: Life Insurance Brokers & Companies - from Life Cover
- Canadian Association of Mutual Insurance Companies - member directory
- Canadian Life & Health Insurance Association - company members
- Centre for Study of Insurance Operations (CSIO) - Insurance Company Members - Canada’s industry association of property and casualty insurers, brokers and software providers
- Canadian Association of Financial Institutions in Insurance (CAFII)
- Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Nuclear Insurance Association of Canada
- American Council of Life Insurers (U.S.)
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.