Financial Auditors & Accountants
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Financial auditors examine and analyze the accounting and financial records of individuals and establishments to ensure accuracy and compliance with established accounting standards and procedures. Accountants plan, organize and administer accounting systems for individuals and establishments. Financial auditors and accountants are employed by auditing and accounting firms throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis (includes video) - Alberta-based occupational information
- Career Explorer by Sokanu - U.S.-based occupational information
- Member Profiles - CPA Manitoba
- Meet our members - CPA Canada profiles
- CPA Manitoba Member Video Series - CPA Manitoba on YouTube
- A Day in the Life of an Accountant/Auditor - The Princeton Review
- CPA Stories - news articles from CPA Canada
- Career Paths in Accounting - Asper School of Business Accounting Association
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
Information for Foreign Trained Accountants & Auditors from the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region)- Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook- Job outlook for the U.S.
- Manitoba Salary Surveys - CPA Manitoba
- I want to be an accountant. What will my salary be? - The Globe & Mail Salary Series (requires The Globe and Mail subscription)
- Robert Half Salary Guide for Accounting & Finance Professionals - salary and hiring trends info (requires email sign-up)
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) of Manitoba
- Chartered Professional Accountants Canada
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
*Note that accountants work throughout the private and public sector across all industries. There are too many relevant sectors to list them all here. They work internally within large companies, government departments, and other organizations. Click here to learn about a range of industry associations.
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- Asper School of Business Accounting Association (UM student group)
- University of Manitoba Finance Organization (UM student group)
- Accounting Career Guide - industry and employer information from TalentEgg.ca
- Canadian Accountant: Career section - "Canada's independent news source for the accounting profession"
- Association of Certified Forensic Investigators of Canada - Forensic Accounting