Real Estate Agent
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Real Estate Agents rent, buy, or sell property for clients. They perform duties, such as study property listings, interview prospective clients, accompany clients to property site, discuss conditions of sale, and draw up real estate contracts. Includes agents who represent buyer. (O*NET Online)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification - an overview of the occupation in Canada
- O*NET Online - U.S resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis (includes video) - Alberta-based occupational information
- Sokanu- occupational info and videos
- Day in the Life of a Real Estate Agent/Broker- The Princeton Review
- A Typical Day in the Life of a REALTOR - Century 21 Canada
- Real Estate Career Guide (select Career guide at bottom of page) - Manitoba Real Estate Association
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized educational programs leading to a career as a Real Estate Agent. Please view the links below for more information about training programs in North America. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Search Directories
- Provincial Educational Requirements- Real Estate Manitoba
- Interprovincial Educational Requirement for Salesperson - Real Estate Manitoba
- Real Estate Institute of Canada - becoming a real estate representative (all provinces)
Information for Foreign Trained Real Estate Agents and Salespersons- from the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Explore Careers: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region)- Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook- Job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Manitoba Real Estate Association
- Winnipeg Realtors Association
- The Canadian Real Estate Association
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Real Property Association of Canada
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience: