Harlyn Thompson Lectureship Fund

Established by Harlyn E. Thompson, former Dean of the Faculty of Architecture (1980-84), the lectureship will be an endowed fund intended to support the costs (airfare, accommodation and honorarium) associated with bringing in participants from a range of design and research disciplines, recognizing projects whose significance extends beyond any one profession or field.

Projects presented should emphasize a link between research and practice, demonstrating how an understanding of human interaction with place can inspire design. The commitment is to interdisciplinary focus with concern for human factors in the design of the built environment.

Participants will be invited from the full breadth of environmental design and related research activities, including all of the disciplines in the Faculty of Architecture as well as industrial design, environmental psychology, sociology, anthropology, geography and the physical sciences.

Participants shall agree, in advance, that their lecture will be available for posting on the Faculty of Architecture's website and publication in the Faculty's Network or in a future Faculty sponsored publication.

est. 2011

Emerging Alumni Lectureship Fund

The Faculty of Architecture at the University of Manitoba has created a fund from undirected alumni donations to assist in launching an Emerging Alumni Lectureship series. The lectureship series will assist the faculty in inviting its alumni who have graduated within the past 10 years to participate in and enrich the Faculty of Architecture Cultural Events portfolio. The mandate of the Faculty of Architecture Cultural Events is to promote, create and stimulate a dialogue amongst faculty, students and the external community on matters related to design and planning.

Alumni from all Faculty of Architecture disciplines (Architecture, City Planning, Interior Design and Landscape Architecture) will be invited to contribute to this lectureship series.

Faculty of Architecture Distinguished Lecture

The Dean of the Faculty of Architecture has established an endowment fund to support a series of lectures celebrating work by distinguished alumni. The principal of the fund is to remain invested with the income being used to finance guest lecturers on an annual basis, or as funds permit. The Dean may also choose to not fund any speakers one year in order to generate more funds for the following year.

Alumni, who have distinguished themselves in professional practice, will be invited from around the world to the Faculty of Architecture, University of Manitoba. Visiting lecturers will be selected by the Dean of the Faculty of Architecture in consultation with Department Heads.

Seagram Visiting Lecture

The Seagrams Visiting Lecture Fund was established in 1981 by Joseph E. Seagram & Sons limited.  Lectures will be invited from around the world to the Faculty of Architecture, University of Manitoba to speak on issues related to sustainable design. 

The principal of the fund is to remain invested with the income being used to finance guest lecturers on an annual basis, or as the funds permit. 

est. 1981
updated: October 12, 2004

Visiting Architect Lecture Series

Sponsored by:
Allan H. Waisman (B.Arch./1950) Lectureship Endowment
Morley Blankstein (B.Arch./1949;M.Arch./1952, IIT) Lectureship Endowment
James Palmer Lewis (B.Arch./1950) Lectureship Endowment

This annual or bi-annual public lecture series will bring internationally acclaimed, practicing architects to speak at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Architecture. The goals of the lecture are:

  • To create new opportunities for students to learn from and interact with internationally renowned architectural practitioners as to their philosophies and practice,
  • To enhance the prestige of the Faculty of Architecture, and
  • To strengthen the Faculty’s ties with the Winnipeg architecture community.

Lectures will be free, open to the public, and publicized to the community and will draw on the history and development of architecture to explore current themes (i.e. sustainable design) and the impact of technology on design and architectural practice.

In order to bring in internationally acclaimed speakers, the lecture may be held bi-annually where necessary, in order for the supporting endowment funds to earn sufficient income to support the extra costs associated with some speakers.

About the lecture sponsors:
Allan H. Waisman, FRAIC (B.Arch./1950)
Mr. Waisman has been a member of two acclaimed Western Canada architectural firms: Number Ten Architectural Group in Winnipeg, and, after moving to Vancouver in 1971 he founded the firm that went on to become Architectura. Mr. Waisman has received a number of awards for his architectural work including: Urban Development Institute (UDI) Award, the Governor General Award, Canadian Architect Award, several Massey Medals for Architecture, and the Royal Architectural Institute Award. Noteworthy projects include the Vancouver International Airport Expansion; six pavillons for Expo 86 including the permanent BC Pavillon; and the Board of Trade Office Towers. Mr. Waisman was the lead architect for the Manitoba Theatre Centre, which was designated a National Historic Site in 2010.

Morley Blankstein, FRAIC, RCA (B.Arch./1949; M.Arch. 1952, IIT)
After graduating from the University of Manitoba, Mr. Blankstein completed a Masters of Architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology studying under Mies van der Rohe. His experience there had a profound influence on his work and encouraged others to follow his lead and head south to study. The Modernist influence they brought home with them transformed architecture in Winnipeg and western Canada. In 1954 Mr. Blankstein, together with Isadore Coop (who also studied at the U of M and followed Mr. Bankstein to IIT) won a national competition for a new home for the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, although the winning design was not built. In 1955, Morley Blankstein founded the firm that went on to become Number Ten Architecture, one of Winnipeg’s best known. Noteworthy projects include the Kildonan Park Pavilion, the City of Winnipeg Transit Garage and the Mendel Art Gallery and Conservatory in Saskatoon. In 1975 he was elected to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. In addition, Mr. Blankstein has made a significant contribution to his profession and his community though his work on boards and committees for numerous professional and community organizations.

James Palmer Lewis (B.Arch./1950)
His 1950 thesis, "A Study of Forces Influencing the Design of a House for the southern Manitoba Region", was a departure from standard thesis of the time and helped launch a career of designing buildings to cope with the harsh cold and glaring heat of the Canadian prairies. In 1954 Mr. Lewis studied under Frank Lloyd Wright at his design schools "Taliesin" in Wisconsin and "Taliesin West" in Arizona. Steeped in Mr. Wright’s philosophy of organic architecture, Mr. Lewis designed houses from Pennsylvania to British Columbia, as well as many public buildings. He taught at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Architecture for nearly 20 years.

est. 2015