Biking to campus
Cycling can be a fast, fun, and inexpensive way to travel to University of Manitoba campuses. As cycling facilities continue to expand both on and leading to our campuses, more and more University community members are arriving by bike.
Located on the ground level of the University Parkade, the Bike Station is a covered, enclosed parking facility for 100 bikes, secured with a card-lock system. Permits are available through the Parking Portal using your UM Net ID login.
If you have previously held swipe card access with the University, your card will be automatically activated within 1 business day of purchasing your Bike Station permit.
For those who have never had swipe card access or have a new card, your card will need to be manually activated by the Physical Plant office. Please contact their office at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to have your card activated.
The University of Manitoba currently offers 18 secure bike lockers located across the Fort Garry Campus, providing a personal, weather protected and secure enclosure for storing your bicycle. Bike lockers are available to the University of Manitoba community in terms of up to one year.
Lockers are custom designed for the Winnipeg climate and are intended to fit most bikes. Each locker is 75 inches deep, 50 inches tall and 33 inches wide (at the door).
To request a bike locker, please fill out our Bike Parking Webform. All rental agreements expire on the last day of the arranged rental period at 6PM. Renters wishing to renew their contract must notify Parking Services of their desire to do so and must provide payment at least 2 weeks before the end of the rental period. Failure to do so may result in the locker going to another person.
The rental rate has a one-time refundable key deposit of $75.00 which must be paid in advance. Rental terms are based on the University's academic schedule and begin roughly in line with fall, winter and summer terms. Renters can hold a locker for a maximum of one year before they must renew their spot. Renters are entitled to 24/7 access to their locker.
|Rental Period||Price (incl. GST)|
Locker Locations at Fort Garry Campus
Locations can also be found on the Ft. Garry bike parking map.
- Extended Education (4 lockers)
- EITC (4 lockers)
- Fletcher Argue (4 lockers)
- Science Complex (4 lockers)
- Dafoe Library (1 locker)
- University Centre (1 locker)
Any lost/stolen keys should be reported to Parking Services immediately. Replacement keys can be made available with an additional key deposit.
For more information about bike lockers and other sustainable transportation option at the University of Manitoba, please contact the Office of Sustainability at email@example.com or Parking Services at 204-474-9483 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Gear up. Take the weight off your back with bike panniers, and don’t forget a good U-lock and bike lights, especially if you’re riding at dawn or dusk.
- Get protection. Register your bike with City of Winnipeg Community Services Bicycle Recovery Section.
- Stay safe. Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) has a wealth of information on cycling safely.
- Lock it up. The frame and one wheel should be secure with a solid steel U-lock. Secure any additional quick-release parts, including your second wheel and seat, with another U-lock or a double-end cable lock.
- See something, say something. Report bike theft or suspicious behaviour to Campus Security Services and Winnipeg Police.
Staff who bike, run or walk to campus can purchase a shower-only pass at Max Bell on Fort Garry or Joe Doupe on Bannatyne campus. Purchase day pass access for $2, or monthly pass access for $10. Register at Recreation Services Reception in Frank Kennedy Centre (Fort Garry campus), or in Room 030 at the Brodie Centre (Bannatyne campus).
Keep your bike in good working order with these on-campus options