Course and program changes
Various undergraduate course and program changes will be put in place for the Department of Statistics, effective at the beginning of the Fall 2020 academic term.
Overview of program changes in statistics
On July 22, 2020, a presentation explaining our recent program and course changes was given by the undergraduate associate head from the Department of Statistics along with an Academic Advisor from the Faculty of Science. The presentation, including questions and responses from students who attended it, was recorded and can be accessed via the link below.
The most important aspects of our program changes
For specific details please review the program changes – quick reference charts.
- We have introduced a variety of new courses.
- We reduced course dependencies by having shorter sequences of prerequisites.
- We have added significant flexibility in how students can satisfy degree requirements.
- We removed the “area of application” requirements from our previous programs.
- We put a strong emphasis on applied and computational courses.
- We distinguished the honours and major programs by making the major less focused on traditional theoretical courses and adding flexibility by having more optional courses (rather than required courses).
- We added a required course (COMP 1020) and a sequence of optional courses in computer science to our major and honours.
- We reduced the required courses while allowing for more options in mathematics.
- We now offer a co-op option to all of our Joint Honours programs, with the exception of the joint program with actuarial mathematics.
Program changes – quick reference charts
Click on the appropriate PDF file below to see the changes to each specific program. If you would like to learn more or discuss a program in further detail, you can request to speak with a student advisor from the Faculty of Science.
To see an overview of all pre and co-requisite updates, see our new course structure chart.
- Program changes BSc Honours in Statistics (PDF)
- Program changes BSc Joint Honours in Statistics and Actuarial Mathematics (PDF)
- Program changes BSc Joint Honours in Statistics and Computer Science (PDF)
- Program changes BSc Joint Honours in Statistics and Economics (PDF)
- Program changes BSc Joint Honours in Statistics and Mathematics (PDF)
- Program changes BSc Major in Statistics (PDF)