U.S. alternative loans
Students in need of additional funding may consider alternative (non-government) loans. Please note the following information:
- All U.S. students can apply, including those not registered in a degree program
- Students studying less than half-time are eligible to apply for a loan from Sallie Mae Student Loans
- Students may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any financial aid received
- A co-signer may be required
- Alternative loan interest rates, fees and repayment options differ from US government loans
- University of Manitoba will certify other alternative loans provided the organization will lend to a student attending an institution outside the U.S.
Applying for a U.S. alternative loan
Receiving your U.S. alternative loan
All students receive their alternative loan funds by cheque in two equal disbursements (usually in September and January for Fall and Winter terms). Financial Aid & Awards will email students when the cheque is available.