Chemical waste drums


Environmental Health and Safety administers the University of Manitoba’s Chemical Safety Program. The program provides information on the recognition, evaluation and control of chemicals or hazardous products, in addition to guidance in the safe handling, storage and use of these materials.

The Chemical Safety Program provides guidance in the safe procurement and maintenance of chemicals and hazardous products in accordance with the following acts:

  • Workplace Safety and Health Act and Regulations (Part 35)
  • Hazardous Products Act
  • Canadian Environmental Protection Act
  • Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act
  • Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012
  • Controlled Substances Storage
  • Explosives Act
  • Duty-Free Alcohol (Excise Act)
  • Chemical Weapons Convention

Chemical Safety Committee

The Chemical Safety Committee (CSC) is comprised of members from the university community and stakeholders knowledgeable in the safe use and handling of chemicals. The CSC acts as a technical advisory committee that supports the development of a chemical safety program at the University.

Chemical safety guidelines

Chemical safety guidelines are the minimum standard which shall be practiced in labs and other areas where chemical or WHMIS hazardous products are stored, handled or used in University of Manitoba facilities.

As an accepted practice, the Chemical Safety Guideline will provide chemical users a clear and concise document to ensure that chemicals or hazardous products are being handled, stored and disposed in a consistent and safe manner.

Individual areas or administrative units may require additional and specific practices according to the type of application processes involved. Site-specific procedures should be developed by an Administrative Unit Head or Principal Investigator who ensures personnel working in those units follow those safe work procedures.

Chemical Safety Guideline (PDF)

Chemical safety permits and WHIPs

Chemical safety permits (CSP) register the principal investigator’s lab spaces under their responsibility and provide a mechanism for the researcher to document a risk assessment and determine threshold volumes of chemicals or WHMIS hazardous products used in their space.

Information provided in a chemical safety permit application will be used to populate a workplace hazardous information placard (WHIP). This WHIP will be posted at the entrance of your laboratory or work areas and will provide a more descriptive account to first responders in regard to the volumes and types of chemicals or hazardous products in your area.

You access the chemical safety permit under the Questionnaire section in the Environmental Health and Safety Assessment (EHSA) database using your UMNetID and password.

If you have any questions, contact us at

Chemical regulatory information

Chemicals can have varying properties that can directly impact their purchase, usage, storage and disposal in Canada. Listed below are acts and regulations that affect chemicals commonly used for research purposes.

If you have any chemicals listed under the Chemical Weapons Convention, please contact EHS for declaration information.

Transportation of Dangerous Goods certification

In accordance with the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations, any University of Manitoba students or staff shipping dangerous goods, must be certified for the applicable means of transportation.

Environmental Health and Safety offers two half-day courses in Transportation of Dangerous Goods (Ground) and Transportation of Dangerous Goods (Air). Ground certification training can be offered separately, but air certification training must be offered in combination with ground training.

These courses are available to University of Manitoba faculty, staff and students only at no cost to the participants or departments.

Please contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office to be registered for the appropriate course.

Transportation of Dangerous Goods (Ground)

Any person shipping, receiving or transporting dangerous goods by ground must be certified for ground transport of dangerous goods. This half-day course will cover all aspects of shipping, transporting and receiving dangerous goods and is required for all University drivers transporting dangerous goods.

Ground certification is valid for three years.

Transportation of Dangerous Goods (Air)

Any person shipping or receiving dangerous goods by air must be certified for air transport of dangerous goods. Course attendees may include laboratory staff shipping medical samples by air (medical samples and dry ice are both regulated as dangerous goods). Ground certification must be taken with air certification and both courses will be offered the same day.

Air certification is valid for two years.

Certification Training to Receive Dangerous Goods

Environmental Health is Safety provides Transportation of Dangerous Goods Training through UMLearn for individuals who receive dangerous.

This training is only available to individuals who receive dangerous goods and is not applicable to individuals packaging dangerous goods for export.

Hazardous waste

In Manitoba a hazardous waste can be defined as any substance that was a dangerous good, which is no longer used for its original purpose, but still exhibits characteristics of a dangerous good.

Hazardous Waste Management Program

The Hazardous Waste Management Program provides guidelines for the disposal of all chemical, radiological, biological, explosive and potentially unstable waste produced at the university. Most of the chemicals received are sent for disposal to a local hazardous waste contractor.

Any waste which has one or more of the following properties listed below must be treated as a hazardous waste:

  • Flammable
  • Corrosive
  • Toxic
  • Reactive
  • Compressed gas
  • Radioactive
  • Biohazardous
  • Potentially explosive/unknown

Biological waste

All biological agent waste must be disposed according to the University Biological Waste Disposal Standard.

Information regarding decontamination procedures can be found in the University of Manitoba Biosafety Manual. 

Both these documents can be found on our Sharepoint site

Please note: The necessity for using bleach as a disinfectant should be reviewed because the type of plumbing pipe used for wastewater at the University is susceptible to degradation by bleach. Autoclaving is the preferred method for decontamination of liquid waste since it prevents degradation of the pipes and gives better control and documentation of the waste decontamination process.

Chemical waste

Fort Garry campus:

Pick up of hazardous waste at the Fort Garry campus is initiated by filling out a Hazardous Waste Removal Form (PDF)and submitting it to the EHSO Hazardous Waste email. Pick up is normally within two weeks for smaller quantities, whereas larger laboratory clean outs require more notice.

Bannatyne Campus:

Hazardous Waste from the Bannatyne Campus can be dropped off in 071 Brodie between 11am and noon on the second and fourth Thursday of each month.

Bannatyne Waste Disposal Calendar (PDF)

If you are unable to drop off waste at the scheduled time, complete the Hazardous Waste Removal Form and submit it to the EHSO Hazardous Waste email to make alternate arrangements.

Please contact EHSO if you have any additional questions.

Radioactive waste

Information regarding the proper disposal and collection of radioactive waste can be found on the radioactive waste disposal page. Use copy from this page to fill this section

For both campuses, the Radioactive Waste Calendar schedules are temporarily suspended until further notice. If you need radioactive waste pick up, complete the Radioactive Waste Removal Form (PDF) and send it to

Special permission may be required before starting procedures that combine radioactive and biohazardous materials. Please consult the Radiation Safety Manual (RSP-3, Section 12), the Approved Waste Disposal Section of the Internal Radioisotope Permit or EHS staff for guidance.

Disposal of X-ray equipment

EHS, Radiation Protection and Cancer Care Manitoba MUST be informed to keep inventories up to date. Before you dispose or transfer/sell any type of X-ray equipment read this and complete a Decommissioning of Laboratory Equipment Form (PDF). You must follow the University requirements for disposing of Capital Assets.

All hazardous waste must be disposed in accordance with federal and local regulations.

Drain disposal of hazardous waste as well as disposal in the regular trash is unacceptable. Aside from obvious infractions to environmental regulations, drain disposal may lead to dangerous reactions, damage to plumbing systems or create a hazard for trades personnel. Trash disposal may put caretaking staff at risk.

Remember: just because a chemical is water soluble does not necessarily make it suitable for drain disposal.

Removal of most hazardous wastes is available to University departments at no charge. Individual departments may however be charged for the cost of identification and disposal of waste labelled “unknown.”

The Bannatyne combined waste facility for radioactive and hazardous waste is located in room 071 Brodie Centre.

Chemical safety permits

Chemical safety permits, also known as Workplace Hazard Information Placard (WHIPs), are administered through the Environmental Health and Safety Assistant (EHSA) database. Information collected in the chemical safety permit is used to generate a WHIP that will be posted at the entrance of your laboratory or work area. This is intended to provide a more descriptive account to first responders in regards to the volumes and types of chemicals or hazardous products in your area.

Initial applications/First time users

  1. Request access to the Environmental Health and Safety Assistant database

  2. Login to EHSA using your UMNetID credentials.

  3. Under the Questionnaire menu, click Chemical Safety/WHIP Application to access the new questionnaire. Allow the sections for the questionnaire to load (the page should refresh and sections will appear).
  4. There are 10 sections to complete. You can save your submission at any time by clicking the Save & Stay button at the bottom of each section. You can navigate to any section by clicking on the section name on the left-hand side menu.
  5. Note: Submit ONE application for all the labs/rooms. Under the facilities section you can add multiple rooms where chemicals are being used and stored. 

  6. Once all sections have been completed, select the checkbox in the assurances section and submit your application. This application will be received by EHS for processing

Submit an amendment (to update information)

  1. Login to EHSA using your UMNetID credentials.
  2. Under the Questionnaire menu, click Chemical Safety/WHIP application to access the dashboard.
  3. On the menu along the top, click Add/Amend/Renew Chem Safety… and click Amend or Change an existing.
  4. This will open your currently approve chemical safety permit and will allow you to make changes to the permit.
  5. When desired changes have been made, click Submit for Review at the top of screen.

Permit-holders can log in to EHSA using your UMNetID credentials. If you are unable to log in with your UMNetID, please request access to EHSA.

Log in to EHSA

Request access to EHSA

Contact us

Environmental Health and Safety
Room 191 Extended Education Complex
406 University Crescent
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada