Apply for the Alumni Association graduate fellowship
The University of Manitoba Alumni Association has generously contributed $500,000 to establish an endowment fund at the University of Manitoba in support of doctoral students.
The purpose of the fellowship is to attract excellent doctoral students locally, nationally, and internationally. These competitive fellowships will be awarded to doctoral students who have demonstrated intellectual ability and academic accomplishments.
The fund will be used to offer renewable fellowships to graduate students who are entering the first year of a research-based Ph.D. program. Funding will be offered in the form of i) a full scholarship or as ii) a top up to Tri-Council awards, the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship, or the Manitoba Government Scholarship. Beginning in the 2016-2017 academic year, the available annual income from the fund will be used to offer one or more fellowships to graduate students who:
- are a domestic or international student;
- are enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies, in the first year of any doctoral program offered at the University of Manitoba;
- are entering a research-based graduate studies doctoral program;
- have achieved a minimum degree grade point average of 3.75 (or equivalent) based on the last 60 credit hours of study.
The scholarship will be renewable for up to three years provided the recipient(s):
- continue to be enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in their research-based doctoral program at the University of Manitoba;
- are entering their second, third, or fourth year of a doctoral program;
- maintain a minimum degree grade point average of 3.75.
- Doctoral students will not be eligible for a renewal of the scholarship after they have completed their fourth year of their program.
The selection committee will have the discretion to offer one fellowship or one or more top-up awards.
Recipients may hold this scholarship concurrently with any other awards consistent with the policies in the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
The selection committee will be named by the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies (or designate).
How to apply
The University of Manitoba Alumni Association Graduate Fellowship (UMAAGF) is typically be offered as a stand-alone renewable fellowship, or a top-up award to the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF). For the 2023 – 2024 academic year, one or more renewable UMAAGFs will be offered to students who have been recommended for a UMGF by their department prior to June 30, 2023. UMAAGF recipients will be selected from the pool of eligible candidates recommended by their department for a UMGF, using the established award criteria. Successful candidates will be contacted with details of their award offer at the time of selection. Students and departments do not need to submit any additional materials or applications to be considered for the UMAAGF.
There are three intakes per year. Next application deadline is July 31, 2023.
Unit 200-137 Innovation Drive
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6B6 Canada