Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Medical sonographers operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of various parts of the body to aid physicians in monitoring pregnancies and in diagnosing cardiac, ophthalmic, vascular and other medical disorders. They are employed in clinics and hospitals. Medical sonographers who are supervisors or instructors are included in this unit group. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Career Options - Ultrasound Technologist/Sonographer - Shared Health Manitoba
- Sokanu: Diagnostic Medical Sonographer - occupational profile and videos (U.S)
- Your Guide to a Career in Diagnostic Medical Sonography - American Institute of Medical Sciences & Education (U.S)
- So you want to be a Sonographer - Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Video: Real Talk Sonography - American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (U.S)
The University of Manitoba does not offer the specialized training required to become a Medical Sonographer. However, students may complete pre-requisite courses at the U of M. Please view the links below for more information about training programs in Manitoba and across Canada.
If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Collective Agreements - Manitoba Association of Healthcare Professionals
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Sonography Canada
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.