Medical Laboratory Technologists
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, blood banks, community and private clinics, research facilities and post-secondary educational institutions.(National Occupational Classification)
This profile page includes information about general Medical Laboratory Technologists, Cytotechnologists and Clinical Genetics Technologists.
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Who are Laboratory Professionals - CSMLS overview of MLTs, MLAs, Cytotechnologists and Clinical Genetics Technologists
- Laboratory Careers - from Diagnostic Services of Manitoba Inc.
- Sokanu profiles & videos: Cytotechnologist
- Explore Health Professions. org (U.S)
- Cytotechnologist career profile - Manitoba Association of Health Professionals
- Choose a Career in Cytopathology - from the American Society of Cytopathology
- MLTs in the military - Department of National Defense, Government of Canada
- Medical Laboratory Professionals: Who's Who in the Lab - from the American Association for Clinical Chemistry
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized educational programs leading to a career as a Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT). However, students may complete pre-requisite courses for MLT diploma programs at the University of Manitoba. Please view the links below for more information about training programs at Red River College and elsewhere.
If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Accredited Training Programs in Canada (all lab specialties) - CSMLS
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (U.S.) - select 'Find a Program'
- Cytotechnology Programs (U.S.) - American Society of Cytopathology
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Collective Agreements - Manitoba Association of Healthcare Professionals
- Labour Market Data - CSMLS
- Canadian Centre for Health Information: About MLTs (incl. Cytotech.. and Clinical Genetics) - within reports view 'Table of Contents' (tab 3 within Excel doc.)
- I want to be a Medical Lab Tech. What will my salary be? - The Globe & Mail
- American Society for Clinical Pathology's 2017 Wage Survey of Medical Laboratories in the U.S. - American Journal of Clinical Pathology
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Manitoba
- Manitoba Association for Medical Laboratory Science
- Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
- American Medical Technologists
- American Society for Cytotechnology
- American Phlebotomy Association
- International Federation of Biomedical Laboratory Science
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
- Institute for Quality Management in Health Care - Accredited Labs (BC, ON, Atlantic Canada)
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.