Medical Radiation Technologists
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Medical radiation technologists operate radiographic equipment to administer radiation treatment and produce images of body structures for the diagnosis and treatment of injury and disease. They are employed in hospitals, clinics, radiological laboratories, colleges and universities. (National Occupational Classification)
Included within this profile page: Medical Radiation Technologist (x-ray, CT, mammography), MRI Technologist and Nuclear Medicine Technologist. To learn more about Radiation Therapists and other related occupations, view the links to the right.
Find detailed information about the occupation, incl. typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- OCCinfo by Alis - Alberta based occupational information
- Career Explorer by Sokanu - US based occupational profile & video
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Government of Canada - Department of National Defense - Medical Radiation Technologist overview and video
- Interview: X-ray technologist - from StudyinCanada.com
- UM Discover your Future in Healthcare video series: Allied Health (including X-ray Technology)
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized educational programs leading to a career as a Medical Radiation Technologist (MRT). However, students may complete pre-requisite courses for MRT diploma programs at the university. Please view the links below for more information about training programs in North America. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Canadian Radiological Technology Programs - CAMRT
- Canadian Nuclear Medicine Training Programs - CAMRT
- Canadian Medical Resonance Programs - CAMRT
- Canadian Degree Completion Programs for those with an MRT diploma - CAMRT
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologists - training programs in the U.S.
- Search Education Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Salary Scale Analysis - Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT)
- Manitoba Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
- American Society of Radiological Technologists
- Society for Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging - Resource Centre (U.S.)
- Canadian Association of Nuclear Medicine
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.