Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Radiation Therapists administer prescribed radiation treatments for cancer patients. Radiation treatments may be administered externally using radiation-emitting equipment such as linear accelerators, or internally by placing radioactive material into body cavities or tissue. Radiation therapists work closely with medical specialists such as radiation oncologists and medical physicists. They work at cancer care facilities that offer radiation therapy. (OCCinfo by alis)
To learn more about related occupations, including Medical Radiation Technologists (X-ray, CT, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine), view the links to the right.
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Sokanu - occupational profile and videos (U.S.)
- Career Profile: Radiation Therapist - Manitoba Association of Health Care Professional
- UM Discover your Future in Healthcare videos series: Allied Health Professionals (including Radiation Therapy)
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized training leading to a career as a Radiation Therapist. However, students may complete pre-requisite courses at the U of M before applying to an accredited program. Please view the links below for more information about training programs in North America.
If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Canadian Radiation Therapy Programs - CAMRT list of accredited programs, including the Cancer Care Manitoba and University of Winnipeg joint diploma-degree program
- Cancer Care Manitoba School of Radiation Therapy - see list of pre-entrance requirement courses (includes University of Manitoba equivalent courses)
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologists - training programs in the U.S.
- Search Education Directories
Information for Foreign-Trained Radiation Technologists - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Salary Scale Analysis - Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT)
- Manitoba Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
- Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
- American Society of Radiological Technologists
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Canadian Radiation Oncology Centres - Canadian Association of Radiation Oncology
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- Article: Is Radiation Therapy The Career For You?- interview includes information on department areas and types of therapists - from TalentEgg.ca
- Cancer Care Manitoba
- Overview of the Cancer Care Team - types of professionals
- Information about Radiation Therapy
- CAMRT Competency Profiles - detailed outline of professional competencies
- Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Allied Health Professions Overview - Explore Health Careers.org (U.S.)
- Canadian Cancer Society - Manitoba Region