Below you will find answers to some frequently asked questions about our programs. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
What are your COVID-19 protocols for in-person program participation?
As per the University of Manitoba’s health and safety protocols, anyone entering the James W. Burns Executive Education Centre, including program participants, instructors, staff and visitors are required to wear a mask while in attendance on our premises. KN95 masks are highly recommended, but 3-ply medical masks (minimum ASTM Grade 2) are also acceptable. Acceptable masks are available at our Centre. Your mask may be removed briefly when eating and drinking.
How can I find out what programs are available?
You can view all of our upcoming programs on our website. Sign up for our email newsletter to be the first to hear about new programs and follow us on social media for updates!
Can your programs be offered exclusively to my team?
Yes! Call us at (204) 946-0232 or email us at ExecEdInfo@umanitoba.ca, we would be more than happy to discuss the needs of your team and find the best solution for you.
Do you have staff in multiple locations? Most of our programs have the option of being offered virtually.
Are program materials included in the program fee?
All program materials are included in the program fee. Materials are provided upon commencement of the program. Materials may be emailed to participants prior to the program if necessary.
What is your cancellation policy?
We accept cancellations* based on the following criteria:
- At least FOURTEEN BUSINESS DAYS before the program, you will receive a full refund.
- THIRTEEN BUSINESS DAYS to TWO BUSINESS DAYS before the program you will not receive a refund; however, substitutions** are available (within the same fiscal year - fiscal year end is March 31).
- If you cancel less than TWO BUSINESS DAYS, or do not attend the program/seminar, you are NOT eligible for any refunds, transfers or credits.
* Special conditions apply to the Advanced Program in Management, Leadership & Strategy and the Municipal Management & Leadership Program. See below for complete details.
** Substitutions refer to transferring to another program of equal value or substituting another person to attend the registered program.
*** Please note we favour substitutions and there is no cost penalty. If you cannot attend, substituting another person is permitted any time up to and including two days prior to the start of the program. You may also transfer your credit to another program however; all aspects of the cancellation policy apply only to the initial course registration. Any credit must be applied to a program that is offered within the same fiscal year of the originating registration.
Given unique cost commitments for the following programs, these additional conditions will apply:
Advanced Program in Management, Leadership & Strategy (Retreat)
- Cancellation for the Advanced Program in Management, Leadership & Strategy (Retreat) will be based on the following criteria:
- Full refunds will be given as per the cancellation policy less the resort non-refundable reservation fee listed in our agreement.
- All cancellations must be received in writing by emailing email@example.com
Municipal Management & Leadership Program
Cancellation for the Municipal Program will be based on the following criteria:
- Two months (60 days) prior to the program, you will receive a full refund
- One month (31 - 59 days) prior to the program you will receive a 50% refund
- Less than one month (30 days or less) no refunds will be issued
- In lieu of cancelling your registration, you may substitute another person to attend the program in your place. All cancellations must be in writing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
What are virtual programs?
For the James W. Burns Executive Education Centre, virtual programs take the in-person experience and transform it into a virtual experience using the video conferencing platform Zoom.
How will virtual programs compare to its in-person equivalent?
We have worked hard to ensure that our virtual learning environment is just like our in-person classroom. You can still expect the same knowledgeable instructor committed to helping you develop your executive leadership skills, as well as an engaging learning environment with case studies, discussions and breakout sessions.
All of our virtual programs offer the same learning outcomes as their in-person equivalent and provide opportunities to tap into additional functionalities unique to the virtual environment, including polling and virtual chats. We have also optimized class sizes (size varies by program subject) for the virtual experience to ensure you get the most from your program experience.
In addition, Executive Education staff will be available throughout the delivery of your program so that if any questions arise during your virtual learning experience, you can reach them for answers using the ‘chat’ function in Zoom.
What are the technical requirements for participating in a virtual program?
Use of a computer or laptop with a stable internet connection, functional microphone, speaker and camera is required. Our virtual programs are delivered using the user-friendly video conferencing platform Zoom. If you have not used Zoom before, it is a free application, and very easy-to-use. We recommend downloading the Zoom desktop client before the start of your program. You can visit the Zoom website for helpful webinars that will introduce you to the basics of how to install and use the platform.