In the First Year Centre, we are working hard to provide support to every new UM student, regardless of faculty or program of study. We are currently offering drop in advising through Microsoft Teams, which all University of Manitoba students have free access to.
If you have questions or concerns that you would like to discuss with an academic advisor in the First Year Centre, please take the following steps:
1. Review our resources on selecting courses and resolving registration issues
For all students:
- Check askumanitoba, which has answers to the most frequently asked student questions. If you receive an error message on Aurora when attempting to register for courses, please review Registration Errors. This website explains the error messages you may be receiving and includes advice on how to resolve registration issues.
For new students:
- If you haven’t done so already, attend or watch our Get Ready to Register sessions which will show you how to use the First Year Planning Guide to select and register for your first-year courses.
- View the ‘How to Register Using Aurora’ video which provides you with step by step instructions on how to create a timetable, register and waitlist for classes.
For returning students:
- Run a degree audit on UM Achieve. A degree audit will show how courses you’ve already completed fulfill requirements for your chosen degree, as well as which courses you’ll need to take in the future.
- Degree audits can be complex, so after you review your audit, we recommend that you book an appointment with an academic advisor in your target faculty. They can answer any questions you may have and provide more information about your chosen degree.
2. After reviewing the above resources, connect with the First Year Centre
If you would like to speak to an academic advisor during our drop in times, please take the following steps:
- Create your course plan:
Attend or watch our Get Ready to Register sessions on Choosing your courses and Timetabling and registration. Based on the info in these sessions and in the First Year Planning Guide, fill out a course planning form. Be prepared to share this course planning form with an advisor during our drop in times.
- Call us at 1-204-474-6209:
After you’ve prepared your course planning form, call our office at 1-204-474-6209 (Mon-Fri, 8:30 am-4:30 pm CDT/CST) to get more information about our drop in advising times.
- Claim your UM Net ID:
To prepare for your drop in time with an FYC academic advisor, you first have to claim your UM Net ID. Your UM Net ID gives you access to your student email account (which you will need to access Microsoft Teams), UM Learn, and other online UM resources. To claim your UM Net ID, visit signum.umanitoba.ca
- Microsoft Teams:
Please note that all our drop in advising takes place online through Microsoft Teams, which all University of Manitoba students have free access to. To sign into Microsoft Teams, use the same e-mail address and password that you use to sign into your University of Manitoba e-mail account (@myumanitoba.ca).
If you have any trouble claiming your UM Net ID or accessing Teams, chat online with IST.