2020-2021 Compassionate grading accommodations
The compassionate grading policy provides students with the option to make choices about Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 grades.
The option to exclude a grade will open in UM Learn beginning May 3rd at 9:00 am (CDT/CST) and will close on May 31st at 11:59 pm (CDT/CST).
Please review the following important details regarding the compassionate grading accommodation option:
- It is optional for students to select a grade to be excluded. Students are not required to exclude any grade from their GPA; they can choose to keep their grades in their GPA calculation.
- The option to exclude a grade applies to courses taken in Fall 2020, Winter 2021, or the Fall 2020/Winter 2021 spanned term, specifically:
- One (1) 3 credit hour course in the Fall 2020 term and/or one (1) 3 credit hour course in the Winter 2021 term OR
- One (1) 6 credit hour Fall 2020/Winter 2021 term spanned course
- Your grading accommodation selection is not reversible. All selections are final and become a part of the official transcript issued by the University of Manitoba.
- Excluded grades will:
- Remain visible on your transcript
- Count in your credit hour total for UM bursaries and scholarships
- Be used to meet progression and prerequisite requirements, if minimum grade is achieved
- Be used to calculate your AGPA for admission to programs. Excluding a grade will not increase the GPA used for admission
- Not be used in the calculation of GPA-based performance requirements, such as program progression, probation, suspension, and requirements to withdraw
- Not be used in the GPA calculation that determines registration dates/times for Fall 2021 & Winter 2022 courses
Connecting with an academic advisor in the First Year Centre is the best way to ensure you are making the right decision for your particular situation. Please contact us if you have any questions.
For updates and further information on the grading accommodations, please visit the University of Manitoba Academic Support website.