International SOS

A free service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, International SOS provides medical and travel security assistance to students, faculty and staff. International SOS can help you manage risks pre-departure or respond to medical or travel emergencies — such as hospitalization, natural disasters or lost passports — while you are away.

You must register to use International SOS:

  • Request your free International SOS card from the International Engagement Officer. Carry this card with you whenever you travel. A digital version is also available.
  • U of M Membership Number: 27AYCA524935
  • Dedicated telephone number for claims: +1-215-942-8478
  • Register online and download the free mobile app for up-to-date travel information.
  • Be sure to carry proof of travel health insurance with you. International SOS is NOT travel insurance.

Lost or stolen passports

If your passport is lost or stolen while travelling, contact your consulate or embassy immediately to report the loss and arrange a new passport. In most cases, you will be required to file a police report.

You may also want to contact International SOS for advice.

Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA)

Registering with ROCA allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency and enables you to receive important information and supports, including emergency evacuation, before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest. 

All Canadian students, staff and faculty should register with ROCA prior to departure at

Questions about travel and safety? Contact your U of M program coordinator or the International Engagement Officer.

Global Affairs Canada

Global Affairs Canada offers numerous resources on a variety of topics, including medical, cultural and other travel topics. You can also browse travel advice and advisories prior to travel and download its free mobile app.

Canadian citizens can request emergency assistance by contacting: 

Non-Canadians may be able to request emergency assistance from their country’s consular services.

UM International Travel Tools

Review all the supports available for UM Students, Staff and Faculty.

Canadian Foreign Embassies and Consulates

Find a list of Canadian offices abroad on the Government of Canada’s website.

Contact us

Breanne Guiboche - International Engagement Officer
Room 541 UMSU University Centre
75A Chancellor's Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada