Nicole Harder, RN, PhD
Dr. Nicole Harder’s current research creates, implements, and studies the use of simulation as a pedagogy to teach technical and non-technical skills to healthcare providers and students. While primarily a qualitative researcher, she also uses mixed-methods and quantitative methods to evaluate the outcomes of the simulation interventions.
Current research interests include:
- Psychologically safe debriefing following expected and unexpected death in simulation
- Addressing racism through culturally diverse simulation and debriefing experiences
- Developing coping and resiliency strategies in new healthcare practitioners using simulation
Nicole Harder, RN, PhD, CHSE, CCSNE is an assistant professor, College of Nursing, and the Mindermar professor in Human Simulation, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Manitoba. Nicole has conducted several education sessions nationally and internationally educating faculty members on the pedagogy of simulation in the health professions. Her simulation research work has been funded by local, provincial and national funding bodies. She has authored over 40 papers and several book chapters on the use of simulation in nursing education, mainly in the area of non-technical skills development.
Dr. Harder is the Editor-in-Chief for the peer reviewed journal Clinical Simulation in Nursing, is a former board member for the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning, and for the Réseau Simulation Canada Network. She is also an educator for the Canadian Association for Schools of Nursing in the Simulation Nurse Educator certificate program.
Dr. Harder’s awards include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing, 2019 CASN Award for Excellence in Nursing Education (tenured) (2019)
- Non-Research Article of the Year. Turner, S., & Harder, N. (2018). Psychological safe environment: A concept analysis. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 18, 47-55 (2018)
- Winter Graduation Class Teaching in Excellence Award (student nominated award) (2018)
- Wounds Canada: People’s Choice Award – Best Digital Poster. McSwiggan, J., Harder, N., Halas, G., Parking, J., Friesen, M., Zhong, W., Labine, L., & ffrench, C. Wound Dressing Seleciton (WounDS) App: A Clinical Decision-Making Tool for Family Medicine Residents. 2018 Spring Conference. Winnipeg, Manitoba (2018)
- American Journal of Nursing 2017 Book of the Year Awards: First place - Nursing Information Technology category. Harder, N. Simulation in Canada (2017). Foisy-Doll & K. Leighton (Eds.), Simulation champions: Fostering courage, caring, and connection. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Inc. (2017)
- Professional Nursing Award – Excellence in Nursing Education, Association for Registered Nurses of Manitoba. (2017)
Visit Nicole Harder's ORCID profile for a complete listing.