Kellie Thiessen, RM, RN, PhD
Dr. Kellie Thiessen is a clinician scientist and has an extensive clinical background in maternal/child health, she is a registered midwife and a registered nurse, and is an associate professor in the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, College of Nursing and director of the Bachelor of Midwifery program, at University of Manitoba. Dr. Thiessen is also an assistant clinical professor (Non-Tenure Track), in the Midwifery Education program, McMaster University, Hamilton Ontario.
She has worked as a midwife in the United States, Brazilian, and Canadian health care systems and is committed to developing innovative collaborative models of midwifery practice that will increase choices for women and their families, as well as provide comprehensive care. Dr. Thiessen has built a strong research team that includes experts across all health care disciplines and extends to key areas of her research focus which is health policy, including health human resource planning and health economics and its impact on access to maternal child health services.
- Innovator Project Award, The Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba, $28,950 (2020)
- Falconer Emerging Researcher Rh nominated Award University of Manitoba, $12,000 (2020)
- Merit Award for Research, Scholarly Work & Other Creative Activities, University of Manitoba, $3,000 (2020)
- Rising Researcher Award CHRIM/Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program (CCHCSP) (2016)
- Kansas State Nurses Association 2014 Research Writing Award Kansas State Nurses Association (2014)
- Institute of Gender and Health (IGH) Community Support Program Travel Award - 2,500 (Canadian dollar) Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2014)
- Research Writing Award, Kansas State Nurses Association (2014)
- Rodenberg Award for Excellence in Teaching nominee, Wichita State University (2013)
- PhD Dissertation Award - 5,000 (Canadian dollar) Manitoba Health Research Council (2 years: 2012-2014)
- Kansas Health Care Scholarship - 800 (United States dollar) Kansas Hospital Education & Research Foundation (2012)
- Kansas Hospital Education and Research Foundation Scholarship (KHERF) ($800.00) (2012)
- Evelyn Shapiro Award for Health Services Research, MCHP ($850.00) (2012)
- Wichita State University Leadership Academy Fellow (2011)
- Western Regional Training Center Student Affiliate award, 5,000 (Canadian Dollar) University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (2010/2011)
- Research Trainee with advisor, Dr. Heaman for research study: Correlates of Abuse: Secondary analysis from the 2006 Canadian Maternity Experiences Survey (2009/2010)
- Young Alumni Award, Georgetown University Centennial Banquet (2002)
- Student Service Award, Georgetown University- Nurse Midwifery Program, 500 USD (2002)
- Wyeth-Ayerst Student Reporter Award, Georgetown University Nurse Midwifery Program (2002)
- Appointed to Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society (1995)
- International Student Exchange Scholarship to study Spanish at University of Madrid, Spain (1991)
Visit Kellie Thiessen's ORCID profile for a complete listing.