Dr. Mutch attended medical school at Queen’s University. He received his anesthesia training at the University of Manitoba. He was awarded an Medical Research Council Fellowship and did post-graduate training in neurophysiology at the Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen and University College London. He then returned to Winnipeg where he has been a neuroanesthetist and conducted neuroscience research for the past 35 years.
Recently Dr. Mutch spent time on sabbatical at the University of Toronto and Cambridge University England learning the techniques which have been adapted to develop the CO2 MRI brain stress test. Dr. Mutch was awarded the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society Research Recognition Award in 2011. Dr. Mutch has been issued four patents related to medical devices.
- Sabbatical: Cambridge University (2012); University of Toronto (2011)
- Medical Research Council Fellowship: University College London (1983); Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen (1982)
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC), Anesthesia (1981)
- Doctor of Medicine, Queen's University (1977)
- Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society Research Recognition Award (2011)