Dr. Virendra Arya is currently working as a professor of anesthesiology in the department of anesthesiology, perioperative and pain medicine, Max Rady College of Medicine. He has conjoint appointment as professor of cardiovascular anesthesia, Advanced Cardiac Centre (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India where he started his career as assistant professor anesthesiology in 1999 and became professor of anesthesiology in 2011 and subsequently appointed as professor of cardiovascular and thoracic anesthesia in 2017.
Dr. Arya was instrumental in starting the anesthesia resident exchange program between the University of Manitoba and PGIMER-Chandigarh to promote global medicine. He was appointed visiting professor at the University of Manitoba in 2013.
Dr. Arya is passionate for resident teaching and developing training modules for skillful vascular cannulation and perioperative echocardiography. He has been invited as a visiting professor to various international institutes for grand rounds. He is an instructor for Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) workshops conducted by the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Dr. Arya is member Editorial Board of Canadian Journal of Anesthesia since 2019. He was also executive member of Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Anesthesiologist in 2008-2009.
Dr. Arya presently spends approximately 80 per cent of his time in clinical work. Through his continued collaboration with colleagues in the field of anesthesia and surgery, Dr. Arya has more than 50 publications in peer-reviewed journals, as well as five textbook chapters. Dr. Arya is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences and has also supervised numerous post-graduate and doctorate trainees.
- Diplomate, Advanced Perioperative TEE, National Board of Echocardiography, USA (2016)
- Certification in Focused Cardiac TTE, University of Montreal, Canada (2014)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Anesthesiology (2014)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), Anesthesiology, PGIMER-Chandigarh, India (1995)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), IGMC-Shimla, HP University, India (1991)
- Nomination for the YK Poon teacher of year award, University of Manitoba (2020)
- Best thesis paper award in 27th annual conference of All India Coordination Committee of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (AICCROG) (2010)
- ‘Dr. Kop’s award’ best paper in national conference of Indian Society of Anesthesiologists (1999)
- Letter of appreciation from Dr. Edmond I Eager II (Prof Emeritus, University of California) (1998)
- Bronze medal MD Anesthesia (1995)