Dr. Sanjiv Dhingra is a faculty member in the physiology and pathophysiology department at the Max Rady College of Medicine.
He is also the director of the Canada Italy Tissue Engineering Program at the Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, St. Boniface Hospital Research Centre.
His research interests are focused on the development of stem cells and biomaterials-based therapies for cardiac regeneration and tissue engineering.
The current research in Dhingra’s lab focuses on understanding the host immune response against transplanted stem cells, and synthesis as well as application of immunomodulatory biomaterials. Dr. Dhingra is also focusing on the development of iPSC-based disease models for hereditary metabolic disorders for drug screening and development. Dr. Dhingra has published several papers in these areas in prominent journals.
Dr. Dhingra has been actively involved in promoting the field of allogeneic stem cell therapy, immuno-nano materials and iPSC-based disease modeling.
He has organized several national and international conferences and symposia.
He was the chair of first and second International Symposium on the Future of Regenerative Medicine, which were held in Tuscania (2017), and Ostuni (2018) in Italy.
He was also the co-chair of the online symposium on the Innovations in Cardiovascular Sciences and Therapeutics held in September 2020.
Dr. Dhingra has been recognized nationally and internationally for his accomplishments in research.
He received the Outstanding Leadership Award in Cardiovascular Research from the Life Science Association of Manitoba.
He has also been recognized by the American Heart Association (AHA) in 2012 and Canadian Cardiovascular Society in 2017 for his efforts in the field of cardiovascular stem cell therapy.
His laboratory is currently funded by multiple agencies, including CIHR and NSERC.
He continues to serve as committee member on several granting agency review panels such as CIHR, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, European Science Foundation and Medical Research Council of England.
- PhD, Panjab University, India
- Postdoctoral fellowship, Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Manitoba
- Postdoctoral fellowship, McEwen Centre for Regenerative Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Presented by the Vice Chancellor and Dean Alumni Relations, Panjab University, India (2020)
- Ronald Duhamal Innovation Award, St. Boniface Hospital Foundation, Winnipeg, Canada (2019)
- Young Investigator Award- Basic Sciences, Canadian Cardiovascular Society (2017)
- Roberto Bolli Young Investigator Award, International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences (2017)
- Kern Wildenthal Young Faculty Oration Award, International Academy of Cardiovascular (2015)
- Vivien Thomas Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association (2012)
- Early Career Investigator Award, International Society of Heart Research (ISHR) (2010)
- Outstanding Leadership Award in Cardiovascular Research, Life Science Association of Manitoba (2007)