Dr. Hani El-Gabalawy is a professor of medicine and immunology, associate department head (internal medicine) – research, senior clinician-scientist, Endowed Rheumatology Research Chair at the University of Manitoba, former section head of Rheumatology and Arthritis Centre Director and the former scientific director of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Institute for Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis.
Dr. El-Gabalawy received his pre-medical and medical studies at the Faculties of Science and Medicine at the University of Calgary and completed his internal medicine training and rheumatology fellowship at McGill University. From 1997 to 2000, he was a visiting scientist at the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) in Bethesda, Maryland. In 2000, he returned to UM where he continued his research work in the area of immune mediated inflammatory arthritis. He has mentored a wide range of trainees in the context of this research program.
- Bachelor of Science, University of Calgary (1974)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), University of Calgary (1977)
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Internal Medicine (1983)
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Rheumatology (1984)
- Specialty Certificate Province of Quebec: Rheumatology (1984)
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Rheumatology (1984)
- Outstanding Reviewer, Peer Review - Fall 2019 Project Grant Competition, Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the College of Reviewers (2020)
- Canadian Rheumatology Association (Inaugural) Masters Award, Victoria, B.C. (2020)
- Master of the American College of Rheumatology, Atlanta, Georgia (2019)
- Canadian Rheumatology Association Distinguished Investigator Award, Quebec City (2015)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, Ottawa (2013)
- Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS), Ottawa (2010)
- Endowed Rheumatology Research Chair (2003 to present)