Dr. Pingzhao Hu is a tenured associate professor in bioinformatics and statistical genetics in the department of biochemistry and medical genetics at the University of Manitoba.
Dr. Hu was trained in computer science and applied statistics. His research program builds the bridges between artificial intelligence (AI) or machine learning, statistics and multimodal health data (mainly omics data). His research is performed in an independent, multidisciplinary and collaborative team framework where his expertise in AI, statistics and computational biology complements that of his collaborators. Dr. Hu has published more than 120 peer reviewed scientific articles with more than 4,900 citations and H-index 32.
Dr. Hu supervises graduate students in life sciences (biochemistry and medical genetics), science (department of computer science), engineering (department of electrical and computer engineering) and individual interdisciplinary studies program (life science, computer science, engineering, statistics, math, etc.). Dr. Hu has excellent training records of highly qualified personnel (HQP). His HQP have won many prestigious international awards (such as Charles J. Epstein Trainee Award for Excellence in Human Genetics Research – Semifinalist, Best Oral Presentation Awards) and local awards (President’s Graduate Scholarship in Human Genetics, Manitoba Graduate Scholarship, Women's Health Research Foundation of Canada Graduate Scholarship), published in high impact journals and are employed as either AI/software engineer or data scientists in leading organizations.
Dr. Hu has outstanding experience in collaborating with basic scientists and clinicians. He was one of the major drivers to establish and develop the first statistical facility for omics data analysis in Canada when he acted as the facility’s manager (2006-2014) in The Centre for Applied Genomics in Toronto. In this position, he consulted for and collaborated with more than 200 national and international basic and clinician scientists.
Dr. Hu is an associate editor of Frontiers in Genetics (section of statistical genetics and methodology) and an associate editor of Annals of Medicine (section of medical genetics and genomics). Dr. Hu is the former chair of Case Studies in Data Analysis Competition of Statistical Society of Canada from 2018 to 2020.
- PhD (computer science), York University (2012)
- Master of Science (computer science), Dalhousie University (2002)
- Terry G. Falconer Memorial Rh Institute Foundation Emerging Researcher Award (Interdisciplinary Category) (2020)
- Manitoba Medical Service Foundation Allen Rouse Basic Science Career Development Research Award (2020)
- Best Oral Presentation Paper Award, IEEE 7th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (2019)
- Best Oral Presentation Paper Award, 11th International Conference on Machine Learning and Computing (2019)
- The Interstellar Initiative Award, New York Academy of Sciences and Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (2018)
- New Principal Investigator Award, Careers in Cancer Research Development Program (CCRDP), CIHR Institute of Cancer Research (CIHR-ICR) and Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute (CCSRI) (2015)
Visit Pingzhao Hu's ORCID profile for a complete listing, or find him on Google Scholar.
Pingzhao Hu's profile