Web Designers & Developers
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Web designers and developers research, design, develop and produce Internet and Intranet sites. They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, advertising agencies or they may be self-employed. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information:
- Web Designer
- Web Designer - Occupational Video
- Search Engine Optimization Specialist
- Day in the Life of a Website Designer - from the Princeton Review (U.S.)
- Sokanu - profiles & featured videos: Web Designer
- Sokanu - profiles & featured videos:Web Developer
- Interview: Creative Director in Digital Media
- Career Paths Booklet (Web Design - p.12) - Tech Manitoba's guide for occupations in technology and IT
- Computing Disciplines: A Quick Guide (for disciplines involving Web design see p.32 & 38) - from CERIC
Many web designers possess post-secondary education: a bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, communications or business, or a college diploma in computer science, graphic arts, web design or business. Prior experience as a computer programmer or graphic designer is usually required. (NOC)
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Explore Careers: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupation Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Current employment stats for Web Design & Development in Canada (by geography and sector)
- ICTC's e-Talent Canada
- Robert Half Salary Guides - view both the Tech & Creative guides for salary and hiring trends
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Association of Information Technology Professionals
- Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS)
- Society of Internet Professionals
- World Organization of Webmasters
- Careers in the Web Profession
- American Association of Webmasters
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- New Media Manitoba
- Tech Manitoba (formerly ICTAM) - business directory
- Information & Communication Technology Council of Canada - view 'Research' market reports and learn about Student 'Education & Skills' opportunities
- Creative Manitoba
- Creative Manitoba - Mentorship programs
- Information Technology Association of Canada (ITAC)
- Member Companies list
Search the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.