Veterinary & Animal Health Technologist
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Animal Health Technicians - overview from the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Animal Health Technologist: Role - CSMLS Alternate Careers for Lab Professionals
- A Who's Who of Helpers at the Vet's Office - from U.S. news website Reston Now
- Career Profile: Animal Technician in Research (pdf) - from BioTalent Canada
The University of Manitoba does not offer training in Animal Health Technology. Please view the links below for more information about education programs in Canada. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan for your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Education Options
- List of AHT/VT Programs accredited by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Manitoba Veterinary Technologists Association (MVTA)
- Registered Vet Technologists and Technicians of Canada (RVTTC)
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
- Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA)
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America
- Association of Zoo Veterinary Technicians
- International Veterinary Nurses and Technicians Association
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Database of Manitoba Veterinary Clinics - MVMA
- Directory of Zoos & Aquariums - Canada’s Accredited Zoos and Aquariums
- Accredited Zoos & Aquariums (U.S) - Association of Zoos & Aquariums
- Canadian Animal Health Institute
- Animal Health Institute (U.S.)
- Animal Nutrition Association of Canada - member companies
- Canadian Federation of Humane Societies - Members
- Wildlife Rescue and Rehab Centres - Canadian Listing from Humane Society of Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.