Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Veterinarians prevent, diagnose and treat diseases and disorders in animals and advise clients on the feeding, hygiene, housing and general care of animals. Veterinarians work in private practice or may be employed by animal clinics, farms, laboratories, government or industry. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis (profile includes video) - Alberta-based occupational information
- A Career in Veterinary Medicine (pdf) - CMVA's overview of the occupation and practice areas
- Veterinary Specialists - overview from the AVMA
- A Day in the Life of a Veterinarian - The Princeton Review
- Sokanu - occupational videos and info (U.S.): Veterinarian
- Sokanu - occupational videos and info (U.S.): Veterinary Pathologist
- Interview: Veterinarian - from StudyinCanada.com
- Discover your Future in Healthcare: Veterinarian - University of Manitoba
The University of Manitoba does not offer training in Veterinary Medicine, but does offer pre-requisite courses and educational pathways for students applying to veterinary colleges. Please view the links below for information on U of M courses and programs and veterinary schools in North America.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Pre-Vet Studies - U of M Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit the faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine at U of M - overview
- Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Animal Science
- Faculty of Science
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Biological Sciences
- University of Manitoba Pre-Vet Club - UMSU student clubs directory
Exploring Veterinary Medicine Education Options
- Canadian Veterinary Colleges list - Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Accredited Veterinary Colleges - American Veterinary Medical Association
- Member Institutions - Association of American Veterinary Medicine Colleges
- Canadian Faculties of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
- Search Other Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis - Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Article: I want to be a Veterinarian. What will my salary be? - reference to CVMA survey (job outlook, salary and job satisfaction) from The Globe & Mail
- Canada's Best Jobs 2018: Veterinarian (#9) - Canadian Business magazine
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA)
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Canadian Association for Laboratory Animal Science
- Association of Veterinary Acupuncturists of Canada
- American Veterinary Chiropractic Association
- American Association of Industry Veterinarians
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Directory of Veterinarians & Hospitals - from the CVMA
- Database of Manitoba Veterinarians & Clinics - MVMA
- Directory of Zoos & Aquariums - Canada’s Accredited Zoos and Aquariums
- Accredited Zoos & Aquariums (U.S) - Association of Zoos & Aquariums
- Canadian Animal Health Institute
- Animal Health Institute (U.S.)
- Animal Nutrition Association of Canada
- Canadian Federation of Humane Societies - Member Organizations
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.