Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Paramedics administer pre-hospital emergency medical care to patients with injuries or medical illnesses and transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further medical care. They are employed by private ambulance services, hospitals, fire departments, government departments and agencies, manufacturing firms, mining companies and other private sector establishments. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. occupational resource
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- A Day in the Life of a Paramedic - The Princeton Review (U.S)
- Sokanu: Paramedic - occupational profile and videos
- Military Medical Technician career profile - info and video from the Canadian Armed Forces
- Manitoba Aboriginal Health Careers - Success Stories - Paramedic
- Beyond the sirens: Inside the life of a paramedic - article from CBC.ca
- A day in the life of an emergency paramedic - World Health Organization
- Day in the Life of a Paramedic - GapMedics.com
The University of Manitoba does not offer the specialized training required to become a Paramedic. Please view the links on this page for more information about training and employment. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
The University of Manitoba does offer occupational testing (physical fitness assessment) for paramedic agencies. See 'Other Links' below for more information.
Exploring Education Options
- Approved education programs - Paramedic Association of Manitoba
- Primary Care Paramedic programs - City of Winnipeg
- Primary Care Paramedic and Advanced Care Paramedic exam - Government of Manitoba
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Senior Officers' Association Collective Agreement - City of Winnipeg
- Winnipeg 2018 Salary Compensation Disclosure Report - City of Winnipeg
- Canadian Occupational Projection System: Paramedical occupations - Labour market projections developed by the Government of Canada
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Paramedic Association of Manitoba
- Paramedic Association of Canada
- National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (U.S.)
- International Association of EMTs & Paramedics
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Association of Manitoba Municipalities - view map or directory
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Regional Health Authorities in Manitoba - Government of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - list from Statistics Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.