Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Statisticians plan, organize, analyze and interpret studies to provide usable information for a wide range of activities. For example, they may be involved in agricultural or health research, evaluating government programs, assessing environmental problems, improving manufacturing or business processes, or forecasting future economic conditions. (alis)
This profile includes information about Mathematical Statisticians, Biostatisticians, Sports Statisticians, Data Scientists and Data Analysts.
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- A Day in the Life: Statistician - The Princeton Review (U.S.)
- Statistics Career Overview - Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- Biometrician - career profile and role model spotlight from ECO Canada
- Sokanu - career info & videos:
- This is Statistics - video profiles and information for students from the ASA
- Careers in Statistics - types of jobs (forensic, government, medical, market research, sports, etc.), professional profiles and career stage outlines from the Royal Statistical Society (U.K.)
- The Work of a Mathematical Statistician - from Statistics Canada
- Is Statistics right for me? What do Statisticians do? - University of Manitoba Department of Statistics
- Stats + Stories - podcast profiles of statisticians and statistical work from the ASA and Miami University
- Article: The Short and Winding Road Through a Career in Industry - AMSTAT News
- Article: A Look Back at My Career as a Biostatistician in Aging and Dementia Research - AMSTAT News
- Statistics Career Videos (international) - from The World of Statistics
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Salary reports: Academic Statisticians & Business, Industry and Government Statisticians - from the American Statistical Association
- Canada's Best Jobs 2018: The Top 25 - Statistician (#12) - Canadian Business
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Statistical Society of Canada
- American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Association of Sports Analytics Professionals
- International Association of Survey Statisticians
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics (U.S.)
- Data Science Association (U.S.)
- International Society for Clinical Biostatistics
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Market Research & Intelligence Association (MRIA)
- ESOMAR - international directory of companies in the data, research and insights community
- Companies in Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science... - list from KDnuggets
- International Statistical Institute - corporate members list
- Universities Canada
- Global Participant list from the World of Statistics - directory includes Business, Government and Research Institute partners
- Federally Regulated Financial Institutions- list from Government of Canada
- Actuarial Employers - Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Digital Analytics Association (U.S.) - corporate members
- 10 Companies on the Cutting Edge of Sports Data - article from Fast Companymagazine
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Statistical Society of Canada - job bank
- American Statistical Association - Career Center - U.S.
- Canadian Society for Epidemiology and Biostatistics - job listings
- Job hunting and job listing sites- University of Manitoba Department of Statistics
- ai-jobs.net - Jobs in AI and Big Data (international)