Operations Research Analyst
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Operations research analysts use analytical methods, mathematical modelling techniques and information technology to predict system performance and compare the outcomes of alternative strategies or ways of managing complex systems. Operations research analyst usually work in office environments in large organizations or consulting firms. (OCCinfo by alis)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- ONET Online - U.S resource for occupational descriptions and information.
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Sokanu: Operations Research Analyst - occupational information and videos
- Operations Research Analyst Career Profile - Truity
- Operations Research Analyst Career Profile - US News
- Operations Research Analysts (U.S.) - Data USA
- Is a career in O.R. and Analytics right for you? - from INFORMS
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Faculty of Management / I.H. Asper School of Business
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Engineering
Exploring Other Education Options
- List of Operational Research (OR) programs in Canada - Canadian Operational Research Society
- Operations Research Programs in the U.S. - Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Operation Research Analyst Salary - BusinessStudent.com
- 100 Best Jobs: Operations Research Analyst (#34) - U.S. News
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Operational Research Society
- The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)(U.S.)
- The Operational Research Society (U.K.)
- International Federation of Operational Research Societies
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
- Digital Analytics Association - corporate members
- ESOMAR - international directory of companies in the data, research and insights community
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.