Records Management Professionals (including Health Records)
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
A records manager is an information manager who is responsible for overseeing the effective management of their organization’s records, from their creation to their eventual disposal. They must control the number of records created and stored, and identify which records are to be preserved for historical, compliance and research purposes, and which are to be destroyed. Records managers are also responsible for providing access to records for a range of operational and strategic purposes. (Academic Invest)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information (U.S)
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Electronic Health Records Manager - Careers in Healthcare Administration
- Health Information Manager - ExploreHealthCareCareers.org
- Records Manager Career Profile - TARGETjobs (U.K.)
- Senior Records Manager Principal Duties and Responsibilities - U.S. National Archives
- Career Video: Health Information Management - Alberta Health Services
- Video: Records Management - University of Texas Austin, School of Information
The University of Manitoba does not offer training in Records Administration or Health Information Management. Please view the links below for information on specialized programs in North America. Where relevant, for some certification, prior education may be completed at the U of M.
If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like support determining an educational pathway for your unique career goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Education Options
- Health Information Management (HIM) Programs in Canada - CHIMA
- Certified Degree Programs (U.S. & International) - ARMA
- Certified Records Manager/Administrator (CRM/CRA) Qualifications- Institute of Certified Records Managers (ICRM)
- Search Career Services Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report - (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Red River College Graduate Satisfaction & Employment Reports (see Health Information Mgmt.)
- Agreement between Treasury Board and Public Service Alliance of Canada - Appendix A-1 Salary Steps for Administrative Services Workers (Government of Canada)
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
- ARMA International - Association of Records Managers & Administrators
- Institute of Certified Records Managers
- Association of Public Sector Information Professionals
- Information and Records Management Society (U.K)
- International Federation of Health Information Management Associations
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health regions in Canada - listing from Statistics Canada
- Universities Canada - members
- Institutes & Colleges Canada - members
- Association of Manitoba Municipalities - member directory
- Association for Manitoba Archives
- Public Sector Departments List - from the Assoc. of Public Sector Information Professionals
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards