Disaster & Emergency Response Managers
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Disaster management is the management of resources and programs for responding to emergency situations caused by natural events such as earthquakes, floods, and tornadoes. It's often combined with emergency management, which includes emergencies caused by human activity. A disaster management specialist plans and directs programs and procedures for responding to natural disasters such as floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornadoes. (environmentalscience.org)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Emergency Manager career profile with featured role model - ECO Canada
- What is a Disaster Management Specialist?
- Pakistan Floods: Aid Worker's Diary - from the British Broadcasting Corporation
- U.N. Careers profile - experience in emergency management - United Nations
- 50 Best Jobs of 2011: Emergency Management Specialist (U.S. News & World Report)
- Careers in disaster relief - U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics
- Emergency Management as a career (U.S.) - University of Washington
- Video: Disaster Zone - Careers in Emergency Management - King County TV (U.S.)
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized educational programs in Disaster or Emergency Response Management. Please view the links below for more information about training programs. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance with determining an education plan that suits your unique goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Education Programs
- Canadian Academic Programs in Disaster and Emergency Management - Canadian Risk & Hazards (Knowledge & Practice) Network
- FEMA Emergency and Disaster Management Programs - listing of programs outside the U.S., including Canada
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute - The College List: Education Programs in the U.S.
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Canada Job Bank - Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Risk and Hazards (Knowledge and Practice) Network (CRHNet)
- CCEP - Canadian Centre for Emergency Preparedness
- Disaster Recovery Institute of Canada
- Emergency Management & Public Safety Institute - Centennial College
- International Association for Emergency Managers (IAEM) - Canada Council
- National Emergency Management Association (U.S)
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Emergency management organizations (EMOs) in Canada - listing of organizations by province from Public Safety Canada
- Association of Manitoba Municipalities
- Manitoba Federation of Non-Profit Organizations
- NVOAD - National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- Manitoba Disaster Management Conference - Manitoba Emergency Measures Organization
- Government of Manitoba - Emergency Measures Organization
- Public Safety Canada - federal department responsible for emergency management
- Global Affairs Canada - federal response to conflict, crises and disasters
- Disaster Management Canada - magazine from the CCEP
- Report: The Evolving Roles of Emergency Managers (pdf) - CRHNet
- How Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) responds to emergencies - National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces
- Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction - non-profit casualty and insurance association that sponsors research on disaster response and reduction
- Red Cross Canada
- Centre for International Disaster Information (U.S)
- Centre for Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance (U.S)
- Disaster Relief International - U.S NGO
- The International Committee for the Red Cross
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
- World Conference on Disaster Management
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - U.S. federal government department