Clinical Perfusionists & Cardiopulmonary Technologists
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Clinical perfusionists provide technical support to patients undergoing cardiac surgery and patients requiring cardio-respiratory support. Cardiopulmonary technologists assist physicians in the technical aspects of diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- OCCinfo by alis: Pulmonary Function Technician - Alberta-based information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information: Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- Sokanu: Perfusionist - occupational profile and video
- You're a What? Perfusionist. - Bureau of Labor Statistic (U.S)
- Role of the Perfusionist - Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusion
- Perfusionist Career Profile - ExploreHealthCareers.org (U.S)
The University of Manitoba does not offer specialized training in Clinical Perfusion or Cardiopulmonary Technology, but does offer the initial required training in areas such as Nursing and Respiratory Therapy. Please view the links below for more information about training programs in North America and their admissions requirements. You may also find it beneficial to review the membership eligibility for the professional associations listed below, view job postings and connect with employers to learn more about required competencies.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Exploring Education Options
- Canadian Perfusion Schools - Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusion
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs - Find an Accredited Program (in the search section, select profession, and choose perfusion)
- Information about training - Canadian Association of Cardio-Pulmonary Technology
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Collective Agreements - Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals
- Workforce Survey Results (North America) - information about cases, work hours, retirement estimates, etc. from the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- The Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusion
- Canadian Association of Cardio-Pulmonary Technologists
- Canadian Cardiovascular Society
- Alliance of Cardiovascular Professionals (U.S.)
- American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.